Please sign in to post.

Swiss Itinerary

Wife and I heading for a short stay in June. Thoughts on this route?

• Land in Geneva and get on train and head to Interlaken. Stay in Wengen/Grindelwald for 3 nights.
  • Train to Zermatt - Stay 2 nights
  • Glacier Express to St. Moritz - Stay 2 nights
  • Train to Lucerne - Stay 2 nights
  • Train to Zurich and fly out.

Thoughts? I originally planned on staying in Gstaad first, then heading to Interlaken area, but would need to cut out Zermatt or St. Moritz. Is St. Moritz worth the extension of travel?

Thank you

Posted by
20032 posts

Is St. Moritz worth the extension of travel?

You are the only one who can make that judgement call. Maybe some other town in the area, like Sils Maria or Pontresina.

I assume your plan of travel is to go from Geneva airport to Interlaken area via the Golden Pass route. Otherwise, it would be simpler to just do a round trip to Zurich and travel from Zurich airport to the Interlaken area.

All in all, you have a good plan.

Posted by
7 posts

The Geneva starting point just has to do with flight prices/times etc.

Never been to Switzerland so just torn in regards to St. Moritz. Because without that leg we save quite a bit of travel time and could incorporate more time in one of the areas or add a stop.

Or, we bypass staying in Zermatt. So many great places to visit, so little time ...

Posted by
10206 posts

If you are uncertain about St. Moritz I would suggest you skip it and add those nights to one of your other destinations. Your itinerary has you constantly on the move. Two nights in a location only gives you one full day there. Mountain weather is fickle and the more time you have in a location the better the likelihood that you will have some good weather to enjoy the views you went there to see.

Posted by
8423 posts

To me, your 9 nights is too short for the number of places you want to see, unless its really about the train rides.

St Moritz is too expensive to stay for me (as is Zermatt), but the area is lovely. Its hard to pass up the Matterhorn, however.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the responses. All great points, and we typically enjoy longer stays in one location. Learned that lesson during our trip through the Scottish Highlands.

Revised ....

Train to Interlaken - Stay in Wengen/Grindelwald for 4 nights.
Train to Zermatt - Stay 3 nights
Train to Lucerne - Stay 2 nights
Zurich and out

Zermatt better than Gstaad? Verbier?

Posted by
7 posts

Soon to book. Right now looking at land in Geneva and board train for Zermatt. Stay 3 nights. Train to Wengen/Grindelwald. Stay 4 nights. Train to Lucerne for 2 nights.

My last question is Montreaux. Is it worth staying there and trimming a day off Wengen/Grindelwald or Zermatt?

Thanks

Posted by
16893 posts

There are things to see around Montreux, like grape vineyards and Chateau de Chillon, and it's just over one hour from Geneva airport. But if you want to do a "ride by," including the Golden Pass scenic route, you can get from Geneva airport to Wengen in 5.5 hours with connections at Montreux, Zweissimmen, Interlaken Ost, and Lauterbrunnen. These connections work best with departures at 8:20, 10:20, or 12:20; departures on the alternate hours require an extra connection at Spiez.

Posted by
7 posts

But if I train from Geneva to Zermatt rather than Wengen I’d save time? Not as scenic?