Please sign in to post.

Swiss Half-fare card

Is it cheaper to be here or there, or does it matter? Thanks.

Posted by
115 posts

I'm actually continuing my question. . . I'll be traveling via train from Zurich to Wengen on August 3. If I'm reading swiss train info right, it looks like the best deal is for me to buy a half-fare card for 165 CHF and a 1-day 9 o'clock travel pass for 58CHF. (I'll be buying another 1-day 9 o'clock travel pass on my return to Zurich.) Is this right, and if so should I buy the half-fare card here or there or does it matter? Thanks! B.

Posted by
20017 posts

The Half Fare Card is 120 CHF.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/holidays--short-breaks-in-switzerland/swisstravelsystem/swiss-halffare-card.html
You can buy in Switzerland.

You might also look at the Swiss Transfer Ticket for 141 CHF. If you are staying a while in Wengen, you can add a Half Fare card for 60 CHF. But this must be purchased before you arrive in Switzerland.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/holidays--short-breaks-in-switzerland/swisstravelsystem/swiss-transfer.html

Posted by
16178 posts

Sam's advice is spot on.

Note that with the Transfer Ticket, your return to ZurichnIrport can be from anywhere in Switzerland----it doesn't have to be Wengen. But it must be via the most direct route---no sightseeing detours on the way.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks Sam & Lola! But I went to the link Sam provided and it says that the half-fare card is 165CHF. Is it cheaper there?

Posted by
20017 posts

But I went to the link Sam provided and it says that the half-fare card is 165CHF.

Gee Wiz. I just clicked on the link I gave you and it still says 120 CHF. Is there an automatic inflator program in your computer?

Posted by
115 posts

Sam, The problem seem to be in their website. When you first go to it, it says half-fare card 120CHF. But when you click on "purchase" or 'buy" the 165 CHF price comes up!

Posted by
20017 posts

When I hit the "purchase now" button, I did get a list of products in German. I clicked on "Gastfahrer im Ausland" (or words to that effect) and got the 120 CHF price.
The 165 CHF price is for one year for Swiss residents. It is on sale now until July 31. Normally 185 CHF.
You don't want, or qualify, for that one. (Unless you are a resident of Switzerland, of course)
You can always buy the 30 day Half Fare Card at any Swiss Railway Ticket office when you get to Switzerland.

The cost of a ticket from Zurich Airport to Wengen is 43.70 CHF with a Half Fare Card. Return is the same.

Posted by
262 posts

If you are arriving during normal business hours, you can purchase your half fare card when you purchase your train ticket in Switzerland. You will need to see the attendant as the half fare cards are not for sale at the ticket machines. When you have your half fare card, you can purchase tickets at the ticket machines at any time by selecting the half fare button. You should carry the half fare card with you as if they check tickets, you need to have proof that you are entitled to purchase fares at half price. The half fare card is good for most trains, busses and boats.

Posted by
57 posts

I just bought two Swiss Half-Fare cards last week at the train station in Lauterbrunnen and they were CHF120 each - not sure if that helps but FYI.

Posted by
115 posts

RGS--What was the weather like when you were there (Lauterbrunnen)? Did you need a jacket or sweater during the day?

Posted by
115 posts

RGS--What was the weather like when you were there (Lauterbrunnen)? Did you need a jacket or sweater during the day?

Posted by
115 posts

Posted by
57 posts

We were in Lauterbrunnen from June 25 - 29. The weather was lovely. Not hot but not raining either. We had two days of clouds with a slight mist one of the days and two days of brilliant sun. On all days we wore long pants, a tshirt, a sweater/sweatshirt and carried a rain coat.

On day one we bought our half fare cards and thus the free family card for the kids and took the tram/train/funicular ride from Lauterbrunnen through Murren and up to Allmendhubel. The kids played at the park, we had lunch, explored Murren and then took the trams back down to Stechelberg and bus back to Lauterbrunnen. Took the little hike up to Staubbach Falls.
Second day we took the train ride from Lauterbrunnen up to the Jungfraujoch. Explored the "Top of Europe" for most of the day. Gorgeous views and like many have said, really only worth the cost if the skies are mostly clear. Sunglasses, hats and gloves recommended - it's cold up there.
Third day we went over to Grindelwald and took a ride up to "First", explored the bridges/walkways and had lunch while enjoying amazing views. Tram back down to "Bort" and then we rented 'scooter bikes' to ride back down to Grindelwald. Kids loved this - so did we.
The final day we had to check out and then went over to Trummelbach Falls. We had been to Lauterbrunnen twice before and always missed this but, my goodness, IMPRESSIVE!

I am sure that is more than you needed to know but I loved to share! It is such a fantastic place! enjoy!