Please sign in to post.

Swiss Family Pass

I know this topic seems exhausted on here. Please be patient with me because, having read many of these, I still didn't find the answer.

I am taking a train with my family into Switerland from Italy (Milan). We have already purchased a Swiss Travel Pass because it is a fabulous option. However, I wanted to reserve an EC train (sold on behn.com) from Milan to Spiez. I thought a reservation was the correct thing because we already had a consecutive day pass and just wanted to make sure there was space for us on the train and utilize our pass.

The short question is:
Can you reserve international travel on an EC train using a Swiss Travel Pass when the majority of train time is in fact Switzerland? Or, do I need to separately purchase the portion of the ride from Milan to the Swiss border and then pick another train once I get into the country?

When I went on sbb.ch website it gave me an option of reserving but then hiccuped when I tried to enter the option of already having a travel pass. Essentially, it didn't let me tell the submenu that my son (who has a free pass because being under the certain age criteria) could get a free ticket even though he has a travel pass too! His free ticket was not a recognizable option on the website.

Then I went on the Bahn.com website to see if I could reserve it through the DB German website and it was charging me 350 Francs for the milan to spiez route. It seems like I already paid for most of that!

Any folks here know what is wrong and how to get to Spiez using my family pass?

Posted by
20090 posts

You can buy a ticket from www.sbb.ch/en. Just put in the "reduction" box after you have selected a train, "G.A. 2nd cl". Don't use DB because the train does not pass through Germany. You can also buy a ticket at www.trenitalia.com and just buy a ticket to Domodossola, where the Swiss Travel Pass becomes valid.

I assume you already have the free Family Card when you bought your Swiss Travel Pass.