Please sign in to post.

Swiss COVID Certificate

I am trying to obtain a Swiss COVID Certificate before arriving in Geneva on December 30th. I submitted the request on the Geneva Canton website and have received an email with a link that is supposed to generate a code by SMS. I have tried the link but no SMS is received. Has anyone had any success with this process when applying from USA?

Posted by
492 posts

I think as a visitor from abroad you may do best submitting your request for the Swiss certificate here:
https://covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign

You'll want:
- A copy of your passport (image file like a jpg, or a pdf)
- A copy of your CDC card (again, image like a jpg file or pdf)
- Proof of your upcoming visit (a copy of a plane ticket/flight itinerary, train tickets, hotel reservations and such)

Note that the application asks how many doses are required and how many doses you've had (assuming you're applying as a vaccinated person, rather than as a recovered person). If you've had 2 mRNA doses and a booster you'd just put "3" for each, for example.

Anyways, during the process you'll be able to choose how to get your certificate - either by email, or automatically loaded to the Swiss COVID Cert smartphone application. When I did it, I chose both methods and both methods worked perfectly - I got an email with a link to a PDF of my certificate, as well as had the certificate automatically appear in the iPhone app I'd installed (during the application process you generate a code in the app, input that code with your application, and they use that unique code to know which installation of the app to send the certificate to).

Incidentally, you can scan the QR code you get from Switzerland with apps from EU countries and it's compatible. It's also compatible with the UK's digital pass system. It costs 30 euros to apply for the Swiss certificate, and they say it takes about 5 days (which is precisely how long it took for me, weekends excluded; my partner got his in 2 days though).

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your reply! That is great to know that once we have the certificate we will be able to use it throughout Europe. We started our request originally on the website you referenced and unfortunately it doesn’t work if the address you will be staying at is in Geneva. They refer you to contact Geneva Canton. We had no problems submitting our request on the site for Geneva but are still not receiving the code they say will be sent by SMS when we use the link in their confirmation email. I think we will need to call them when they are open on Monday to try and resolve.

Posted by
11 posts

I was in transit through the Zurich airport on Monday, Dec 20. I stopped at a government kiosk near the train connection area. After a quick look at my 3-shot CDC card and a Credit card payment of 30 Swiss Francs, they issued me a QR code on the spot. I have since successfully used it in both Switzerland and Germany.

It's certainly worth trying to get it done ahead of time, but you may be alright even if it hasn't happened by the time you land in Switzerland.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Olly. Good to know there is a backup option to get the certificate on the ground in Switzerland. For anyone else running into problems receiving the SMS message from the Geneva Canton we were able to contact them at task.sanitaire@etat.ge.ch and they were able to email the certificates to us.

Posted by
2669 posts

Glad you got the certificates. Thanks for the contact info. as I’m sure at some point others will run into the same issue.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Posted by
29 posts

A question for Olly.

The more I read the more confused I am. If we do the testing to get into Switzlerland and complete the certificate, are we then able to go into Germany and back without further testing? Is the Swiss Certificate good enough validation to cross the borders?