Please sign in to post.

Swiss ATM Machines

What ATM logo (e.g., Cirrus, Maestro, Allpoint, Plus) are commonly accepted for ATMs in Switzerland? Any tips for using ATMs in Switzerland? Thank you!

Posted by
8261 posts

The key trick to using ATMs in Switzerland, or any other country, is to start with a card that works well and doesn't charge ATM fees anywhere in the world. I never have to worry about what brand, what network, etc. Any fees charged by the foreign bank are immediately credited to my account. I just aim for an ATM that is attached to a bank during banking hours. They are plentiful in Switzerland!

PS the card I use is Charles Schwab checking.

Posted by
26840 posts

The other key tip is to decline any offer to convert your withdrawal amount from Swiss francs to US dollars. You never want to do that, because the exchange rate used by the ATM will not be in your favor. (Follow the same rule every time you use your credit card in a hotel, restaurant, shop, museum or train station. While in Swizerland, conduct all your business in Swiss francs.)

Posted by
23178 posts

To specifically answer you question, the two most common networks are Plus and Cirrus -- Visa and Mastercard. They are widely available between because they service the local and not just tourists. We try bank own ATMs attached to banks and avoid the stand-alone machines.

Posted by
32519 posts

you will find that Swiss machines are often partial to dispensing CHF 100 notes as default. That's fine and Swiss folks and businesses are used to them... if you don't want all of it that large make a withdrawal ending in 20s or 50, such CHF 280.

If you ask for CHF 100 you will get one note back.

Posted by
4324 posts

Schwab is the way to go, if you are charged any fees (and you likely will be) Schwab refunds them at the end of the month. I discovered they do that here in the US as well, and the account is freeeeeeee.