Please sign in to post.

Summer 2024 (Post Olympics) - Murren, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen and skip Chamonix?

My husband I will be in Paris next August for the Olympics. Following the frenzy and crowds of the Olympics, we want to spend some time unwinding in the alps. From Paris, we plan to go to Lyon first for a few days (studied there in college and have never been back). Following Lyon, we will either head straight to Bernese Oberland or make a stop in Chamonix on the way. I'm looking for feedback on a few things:

-Is Chamonix worth it given summer crowds? I'm thinking to skip and just head straight to the swiss alps from Lyon

-Which resort city do you recommend in the Bernese Oberland - Murren, Wengen, or Lauterbrunnen? We ideally want to stay in an Air BNB or VRBO so we can do our own cooking and save on food costs, etc. We plan to stay probably 4 or 5 days. We'll need easy access to a coop. We will want to hike a ton and are very fit. If possible, we'd also like easy access to trail runs as we are avid distance runners- so trails that are not very steep and that have good footing (not a lot of roots or rocks) - though if those types of trails aren't routinely available in that area of the alps, we'll just focus on hiking.

-If I'm not mistaken, we can get from Lyon to the Bernese Oberland by train, correct?

Thank you for your help!

Posted by
4384 posts

Great plan! I am no expert on these routes, but I think you would go to Chamonix via Geneva (BO from there is easy). So, it would totally depend on how many days you have. I would want no fewer than three full days in the mountains. Are you flying out of Zurich?
Murren and Wengen are pretty much flip a coin territory--both get a lot of love here. I stayed in Murren in a VRBO and the Coop there is great. I definitely preferred being up in the mountaintops, and it's a snap to get down to Lauterbrunnen, where you may want to do your trail running. You also might do some along the rail trail from Murren.
Start looking at accommodations asap. I splurged at off-season rates when I stayed there in October, but there are a number of rental apartments. good luck!

Posted by
4706 posts

Murren has some construction issues , so check your locations' proximity to the gondola construction.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
367 posts

We stayed in a nice VRBO in Wengen, and that village sounds like a place that might be what you want. The Coop was being remodeled while we were there but there another Coop at the train station in Lauterbrunnen, and also another grocery store in Wengen that was small but had everything we wanted. I've never been to Chamonix so can't comment. It's on my list though.

Posted by
10194 posts

It's easier to skip Chamonix because it takes more effort to get there. Lyon to Geneva is a local French train, 2 hours. The trains to Interlaken and on to the BO are easy to reach from along Lake Geneva .

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you so much! It is sounding to me like w should focus on Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. This is helpful

Posted by
4706 posts

Wengen is in the Alps. Lauterbrunnen is looking up at the Alps. Which do you prefer?
Your summer adventure sounds fantastic, have a great time. Safe travels!