Please sign in to post.

Suggestions

We end a hiking trip in Zermatt late a.m. and have 48 hrs to spend before we need to catch a flight to Athens. Based on locations, ease of direct flights and time constraints, we are planning on taking a train from Zermatt to Geneva and flying from there to Athens. We do not want to take a train the day of our flight since we only have essentially one full day in Geneva. I know Geneva is not the first choice of many but based on our limitations I don't see a way to better utilize our time.

Am I missing a better option? Also, is there a reason to book the Zermatt o Geneva train? What about Zurich to Interlaken (We are doing that to get to the beginning of our hiking trip?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
428 posts

If your flight is not super super early in the morning you could stay in Montreux instead and take the direct train to the airport in the morning. Or you could store your luggage at the station in Montreux on your way to Geneva and explore there for the day instead and then just sleep in Geneva. Chateau de Chillon is neat and a fun option is walking the lake promenade to the castle, exploring it (do the audio tour!) and then taking the boat back to Montreux. Walking up on the 1000 year old vineyard stone terraces is also neat. You can walk from Chexbres amongst the vines to St Saphorin, which looks like a movie set.

No need to prebook those train tickets.

Posted by
143 posts

thanks so much. I think we are going to go to Montreux instead