Please sign in to post.

Staying in Murren

Just a heads up to anyone headed to Murren. We are returning after 10 years and staying at the hotel Alpenrue which we like a lot. We were warned about the construction on the Schiltorn station but had no idea how disruptive it is.

The heavy machinery starts at 7:00 am and they are still going now at 7:00 pm. We’ve had our noise cancelling headphones on since 4:30 hoping to enjoy our balcony.

This is going to go on until 2026! Just be aware.

Posted by
484 posts

Thanks for the information, Andrea.
We are heading there in September (for peace and quiet LOL), and after your report may consider staying elsewhere though it may already be too late to find an affordable apartment for 5 adults in Wengen or even Interlaken.
I guess days trips out of Muerren will have to do, and no sleeping in.

Posted by
11153 posts

We loved Grindelwald. It is larger than Wengen or Murren so maybe you can find a place to stay.

Posted by
16232 posts

So the construction site is the cablecar station in Mürren, ot the train station?

Posted by
2666 posts

When I was there last June, the construction was at both the train station and the Schilthorn cable station. They both looked like big projects—to meet disability act requirements. Here’s some info. on what’s happening at the cable car station.

https://schilthornbahn20xx.ch/en/Welcome

Thanks for the reminder about these projects. I’m definitely staying in Wengen again when I return next June. 😊

Posted by
484 posts

I just checked and there are still some apartments available in Wengen for my dates but we really like Muerren so
we'll stay there. We'll be out and about most of the day anyway.

Posted by
265 posts

The Edelweiss looked good. We enjoyed their deck for drinks and food several days with no noise. Murren still a great place to base out of.

Posted by
856 posts

The cable car site. Completely rebuilding the entire run from Stechelberg to Piz Gloria. Massive upgrade. Also, the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp is closed until early June. I forget the exact date. The cable car from Wenge to Mannlichen is closed until mid-June as well.

Posted by
2666 posts

The cable car from Wenge to Mannlichen is closed until mid-June as
well.

Actually, it always opens the end of May. It will be open May 27 of this year. You can always check the schedule online:

https://www.maennlichen.ch/en/summer/information/timetable.html

It is the Panorama Trail that typically does not open until Mid June. You can check the status of that here:

https://www.maennlichen.ch/en/summer/experiences/panorama-trail.html

The Lauterbrunnen to Murren route will reopen June 3rd.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/live/betriebsdaten/

There is never a need to guess when things are open or closed in Switzerland as they are very good about posting operating schedules online. You just have to look for them. 😊

Posted by
20 posts

Are they working on weekends, too? I'm staying at the Hotel Eiger on a Sunday and Monday in September. I was hoping to rest on the balcony at least one of the days.

Posted by
11315 posts

The train station work is nearing completion, I think. It is not as intense at that end of town as at the Schilthorn end. The train should be running in June as Carrie mentioned.

Posted by
73 posts

It is two weeks before my husband and I are due to stay in Murren, and our apartment is close to Hotel Alpenruh, so now I am stressed that our anticipated peaceful and relaxing week-long mountain vacation will be ruined. I had heard there was construction, but everything I'd read until this seemed to downplay the noise/disruption. I'm searching apartments in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen but not finding anything for our dates (we can still cancel Murren without penalty). If anyone has an apartment they like in either of these areas, I'd love the name of the place or a link so I could continue to search.

Posted by
1634 posts

I have just been in Mürren, and am now enjoying a Schwarzmönch in Gimmelwald.

The works at the station are finished. Those at the new cable car station are however still in full swing, and they are still demolishing stuff, so it is going to remain noisy. I hope the owners of the Alpenruh get some compensation. This is not going to be a good year for them.

Posted by
411 posts

WengenK - did you see if they’ve started any work on the Alpin Palace Hotel (pop up lodge)? I’ve read conflicting reports of it being approved and starting work in 2023 vs still waiting for approvals….

Posted by
1634 posts

There is not a lot happening at the Alpine Palace yet. At the last town hall meeting in November we did (unanimously) approve the zoning changes needed so that the project can go ahead. Now the developers need to get their permits. It will probably still take a couple of years till they start building.

The plan is for a new building next to the old one, to increase the capacity (and thus economic viability) of the hotel. That is why we had to vote on a zoning change...

Posted by
12 posts

We are staying at the Hotel Eiger in late July/early August. Hopefully things won't be too noisy! (We have splurged on a balcony room so fingers crossed...)

Posted by
411 posts

Cynthia, you’ll be fine at the Eiger. The construction is at the opposite side of town.

WengenK - Thanks so so much for that info! I was having a hard time getting accurate info from afar. We live in Murren for the summer every year & our chalet is across the street from the Alpin, so I was bracing myself for our peace and quiet being ruined this summer…but sounds like we have another good summer before it gets crazy 😬 Murren deserves all the great things happening, but I selfishly don’t want all this construction upheaval.

Posted by
5 posts

Construction vehicle traffic from the lift goes on all day and is loud and pretty much wrecks the ambiance of sidewalk lounging.

Posted by
37 posts

We are signed up for the 2024 RS Best of Switzerland tour.

Is Murren remaining on his schedule?

Posted by
6 posts

I'm on a GAS trip next summer and 3 nights in Murren is still on the itinerary.

Posted by
42 posts

We were at the Drei Berge Hotel in Murren for 6 nights in mid-September (middle of town). There was no noise from the construction that was bothersome at all at the hotel, other than the occasional truck or equipment rumbling down the lower road which quickly passed. The noise was more noticeable at the Schilthorn cable station end of town, wouldn't want to stay right next to it.

Posted by
79 posts

Son Ian and I enjoyed 3 terrific days Sept ‘23 at Murren’s Hotel Eiger. Noise was not a concern or a problem at all. We heard some small vehicles in the day, but none made our stay uncomfortable. Most of our time there exploring the small town and using it as a base for the Schlithorn, Allmendhubell, Jungfraujong was relaxing, mt view memorable. Hotel Eiger is highly recommended.

Posted by
11 posts

Hotel Alpenblick is an excellent option if you don't mind having to use stairs. It is located far from the Schilthorn station, and conveniently located near the train station. When we stayed there a year ago, we didn't hear any of the construction at the train station. Definitely get a mountain view room. Email them if you don't see any availability on booking.com. They don't put all of their rooms on booking.com.

Posted by
4 posts

Issues in and around Murren October 17-20, 2023. Construction noise did not seem to be an issue in town. Only right next to cable car site.
Many restaurants/hotels already closed til Dec. Construction on the gondola-Grutschalp train route from Lauterbrunnen to Murren means you take bus from Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn/Gimmelwald cable station go up to Gimmelwald, then cable cqr to Murren.
This train construction will go on to Dec 2023. In addition the funicular from Murren to Almendhubel (a ski resort above Murren) is closed for repair till Dec ski season starts (Christmas). This means most of the RS recommend hikes around Murren are much more difficult (longer and more elevation). Cable car up to Birg and Schilthorn still worth the extra money. Excellent all you can eat lunch buffet at Schilthorn from 12-2pm. Walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen along stream is easy and gorgeous.