Please sign in to post.

St. Moritz

We will be visiting Switzerland. One of us wants to go to St. Moritz but the other is not enthusiastic about it. We are not skiers. In fact, we only like looking at snow from a distance. A long distance. We would go just for the scenery there and its vicinity. Is the scenery worth the detour? If not at St. Moritz directly, what about its vicinity?

Posted by
5835 posts

Snow defines St. Moritz and the Engadine Valley. But if you are not a snow person, consider an inside looking out option:
https://www.rhb.ch/en/world-of-railway-experiences/rhb-unesco-world-heritage/bernina-line

The Bernina Line between St. Moritz and Tirano links northern and
southern Europe. It runs past mountains, lakes and glaciers down to
the palms of Valtellina. The famous panoramic route is a true landmark
which has UNESCO World Heritage status.

From cosmopolitan St. Moritz, the Bernina Line snakes its way up to
the top of the RhB, the Ospizio Bernina, at 2,253 metres above sea
level....

Posted by
32757 posts

The snow shouldn't be a worry in September.

There is loads of fantastically beautiful scenery all around that part of Switzerland, and St Moritz does have a very nice but not too big lake, and some interesting hotels and chalets, but I have never been particularly impressed with the town itself.

I love it around there, down each of the lines, but can take St Moritz or leave it alone.

One year I'd love to watch the horse racing on the lake though - but that won't be while you are there.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Is the scenery worth the detour?"

Some of that depends on how far a detour it would be, and what other scenery you are seeing, and how long your whole trip is, and where you are flying in and out of.

If you post your whole trip with the details as you have them so far, people can make better recommendations.