Please sign in to post.

Six days in Switzerland

Hello fellow travelers,
We have six days in Switzerland and the end of the month. We fly into and out of Geneva and will have a car. We are interested in hiking, kayaking, swimming, canyoning, sightseeing and visiting the charming lakeside towns. My thought was to head to Grindelwald by way of Interlaken, seeing Brienz, perhaps kayaking and/or hiking Harder Kulm on day one. We have a hotel for two nights in G-wald. Would love a recommendation of a canyoning tour, or a challenging day-long hike (where to start and finish?) on days 2-3.
I had wanted to go to Lugano from there, take a day excursion to Bellagio or similar, and then head west toward Geneva. I would love to visit Annecy for a day before getting back to Geneva.

Waaay too much driving, right? Any suggestions for a good route that would maximize our time? We are a family of 3, our D is 20.

Posted by
201 posts

Challenging Hikes from Grindelwald area
Via Ferrata from Murren half day and then North Face trail (park in Lauterbrunnen)
Grindelwald First to Schynige Platte where there are Alphorn players at the restaurant there from 11-2 (train back from Wilderswil to Grindelwald)

Posted by
8445 posts

I think you are underestimating the distances and time it would take to go between these widespread destinations. Travel in the mountains is time-consuming, because the mountains are in the way.

Posted by
2 posts

Beejay, great suggestions, thank you.

Stan, I love it when the mountains are in the way, lol. You are right - it is too much ground to cover in too short a time. No visit to Lugano this time, but instead we’ll head to Lucerne and end in Annecy before departing.

Posted by
4704 posts

The Swiss have such an efficient, user- friendly train system. Why do you feel the need for a car? Perhaps sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery of this beautiful country. Safe travels!