Please sign in to post.

SIM cards....

Hello, Am traveling to Switzerland and then to Italy and France in June. I think I will need to get a SIM card in Switzerland and then again in Italy because Switzerland is not part of the EU. Is this correct? Any recommendations for which card to buy ? and do you know if there is a SIM card retailer at the Milan train station? Many thanks for your help.

Posted by
11320 posts

You will want two SIMs as you suspect. The Swiss SIM will technically work in IT and FR but at a high cost. We have been buying one in CH and then getting another in IT when we arrive (just did it last fall). There is a TIM cellphone store in Milano Centrale and they have always had a TIM for Visitors offering https://www.tim.it/en/landline-mobile/international-calling/from-italy/tim-tourist. You can, of course, use the Italian SIM in France.

Posted by
5687 posts

Vodafone's "pay as you go" SIM cards offer free roaming in EU countries and Switzerland - at least, the UK and Dutch Vodafone SIMs do. I've never bought one, but some have succeeded in buying a UK Vodafone SIM ahead of time and activating it without traveling to the UK.

Posted by
9 posts

Do you have a phone with esim capabilities? I have an unlocked iphone 11 and you can download the Airalo app and add the data package to your phone for all of Europe. I have used it in Spain and Sweden with no issues. We typically use WhatsApp or something equivalent to communicate.
If you go this route, I suggest that you read all the instructions on using a dual sim and download everything before you leave home.

Posted by
2672 posts

You could go the easy route like i do and just use your phone as is and pay for an international plan. That way it will work everywhere with no complications.