Please sign in to post.

SIM card question

We are going to be in Switzerland for two weeks. My son gave us a couple of SALT SIM cards for Switzerland that he has used in the past. Can we use these cards and have them recharged when we get to Switzerland and keep the previously associated phone numbers, or will we need to buy new cards which would have different phone numbers associated with them? Thank you.

Posted by
8889 posts

Depends how long since the cards were last used. Typically 6 months, depends on the provider. After that time the cards are no longer valid, and the phone number is re-used.

Do you know the PIN for the cards? Do you know how to log on to the account on the Internet, look up how much credit is left and add more credit? If you can get Internet access, you don't need to go into a shop.

Posted by
32171 posts

Vonnie,

As Chris mentioned, you may find that the cards have expired if it's been six months or more since they were last used. I've heard that Swisscom has the best coverage, although slightly more expensive than their competitors.

Which cell network are you with at home? You may be able to use a roaming plan with your home network.

Another option you could use would be a "travel SIM" from firms such as Cellular Abroad, iRoam or others. They'll supply you with SIM's that will be operational as soon as you step off the plane. Their data limits are often a bit low, but for occasional use they work fine.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks so much for your information. I understand now that the SIM cards will be too old. We have Verizon. We may use their plan.

Posted by
5687 posts

Why not just buy SIM cards when you get to Switzerland? Your Verizon phone(s) should be unlocked.

Posted by
31 posts

Our phones are unlocked. We will buy a SIM card when we get to the Zürich airport. We are now trying to figure out the price. Thanks for answering.

Posted by
16 posts

We are going to Switzerland this Sept. for 11 days and then to Italy for 6 days. We have Verizon phones and they are unlocked so we plan on purchasing a simcard at Zurich airport after we land. It looks like from the last poster (thank you for sharing this link) that Swiss Com might be the one to choose. Does anyone have experience in buying a simcard at the Zurich airport? Thank you.

Posted by
31 posts

Viewmont, Since nobody answered your question about buying SIM cards at the Zürich airport, why don’t you start your own post? I think you will have better luck. I am also curious about that.