Please sign in to post.

Sept 2020 Swiss trip - Valais, Berner Oberland, Luzern

Hello! My question is whether I should drop one of the nights in the Valais/Geneva area and add it to Berner Oberland (Lauterbrunnen base). There seems to be a lot to do in both areas but we've also tried to build in enough time to deal with weather for mountain walks/lifts/sights. We will have a car and are comfortable driving an hour or so to sights. I've heard that BO is spectacular and wonder if the Valais will merit the extra day over the BO. Thank you!

• Sep 9-14 (6 nights) - Valais/Geneva area (Martigny-Comb base): Zermatt, Chamonix, 9/12 Wine Walk and other local festivals,
    Lausanne, Gruyeres, Diablerets (includes hikes, lift/cable cars)
  • Sep 15-19 (5 nights) Berner Oberland (Lautenbrunnen base): Schilthornbahn, Jungfraujoch, Murren, Gimmelwald, Thun, hikes galore, local festivals
  • Sep 20-22 (3 nights) - Luzern (Luzern base): Mts. Rigi and Pilatus, Luzern sights
Posted by
1443 posts

You could play it by ear based on the weather when you are in country. If the weather is poor you could add more time in cities, and if the weather is good add more time to the mountains. But that means being a little flexible with your reservations.

Posted by
768 posts

I'd spend more time in the Berner Oberland area. Click on my name to find a link to the walks in the area and maybe looking at those pics will help you decide.

Posted by
7209 posts

Geneva pales in comparison to the BO.

Posted by
768 posts

That's true, and I say that as a former resident of Geneva who liked the city. Geneva is a 7/10 while Berner Ob. is 10/10.

Posted by
94 posts

@Shoe...yes! I saved your post with your Lauterbrunnen hikes and will be using them as a reference. My question is....did you take hikes in the Valais/Vaud/Valais cantons and can you compare? Up to this point, because we drive a car, we prefer to take hour-long day trips rather than hopping and skipping from one night to another and hauling suitcases around. Plus, it means we can stash our salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, and leftovers in containers to eat in the next location rather than go to a restaurant or get grocery store takeout. It's the way we roll. Agonizing over the CO2 that our car adds to the atmosphere (argh!).