Please sign in to post.

Schilthorn coverage with Swiss Travel Pass 2020

Hello--

SBB has updated their website to reflect 2020 prices and discounts.

The Swiss Travel Pass will continue to cover the entire trip to and from Mt. Schilthorn at 100%. I know some had thought the trip would only be covered at 50%.

From SBB website: Mountain excursions included: Rigi, Schilthorn and Stoos.

Happy travels everyone!!!

Carrie

[Edit: Carrie has identified an error on the English SBB site, which hopefully will be fixed soon. Laura]

Posted by
8889 posts

Curious.
The SBB page you linked to says: "Mountain excursions included: Rigi, Schilthorn and Stoos"

The German version (here: https://www.sbb.ch/de/freizeit-ferien/reisen-schweiz/internationale-gaeste/swiss-travel-pass.html ) says:

Inkludierte Bergausflüge: Rigi, Stanserhorn und Stoos

And the French version says:

Trains de montagne compris : Rigi, Stanserhorn et Stoos

I think this is a typo on the English version.

Since the Schilthorn Railways own website (as linked to by Sam - this leaflet: https://schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles/Tariffs_Schilthorn_2020_English_1.pdf ) clearly says:

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid on the entire route Stechelberg -Mürren -Schilthorn until 31.12.2019. . . . . From 01.01.2020 50% discount from Mürren.

I would suggest that since it is their employees manning the cable car (and not SBB's), you would get charged.

Posted by
20085 posts

I don't know if this has been updated. The "map of Validity" stills shows it, but that is still the version of Dec 2018. Maybe Laura at RS can chime in.

Since the Schilthornbahn website says it is discontinued and they own and operate it, I'd at least email them before I would count on it.

Posted by
7209 posts

The Schilthorn’s own website says the tariff for Stechelberg -> Schilthorn -> Stechelberg is 42.80 CHF for holders of the Swiss Transport Pass

Posted by
2669 posts

So, I guess it's looking like a mistake on the U.S. SBB site. I'll see if i can get confirmation and then delete the post if the info. is not accurate. Bummer!! I thought I was going to have a little extra money to buy a few more chocolates. :)

Posted by
8889 posts

Carrie, please, please DO NOT delete this post. It might be useful for other people, and we put some effort into research so other people could profit as well.

Maybe you just change the title to "SBB site wrongly says Schilthorn covered 100% with Swiss Travel Pass 2020"

And its not the "U.S. SBB site", it is the "English-language SBB site". For US-ians, British, Aussies and anybody else who understands English better than German, French or Italian.

Posted by
7209 posts

For what it’s worth the Schilthorn is not an amazing place in my opinion...especially for the price. When it was free then by all means I would recommend a trip up.

Posted by
3996 posts

That is one egregious typo on the English translation.

I wonder if those that run the cable car will honor the Swiss Travel pass given that the SBB site in English states that it is included. I would think it would have to be honored up to the maximum time in advance that one can buy the Swiss Travel pass with that wrong information. It’s not a third-party organization giving wrong information in writing. It is the SBB itself.

Posted by
20085 posts

As far as Schilthornbahn is concerned, SBB is a 3rd party.

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, terrible typo! and especially confusing when they've linked the Dec. 2018 map. I had earlier bookmarked this 2020 version of the map.

I contacted the Schilthornbahn in September and heard back from two different product and sales managers that this time the change back to a 50% discount above Muerren with the Swiss Travel Pass was "for real," not temporary, and not likely to be reversed. I'll do what I can to alert them to the issue now.

Also one typo doesn't supercede whatever the rule actually is or is understood to be in German, and pass purchasers/users will receive the info in multiple formats. (But again, if the other info includes last year's map, that's confusing.) Rules also can change mid-year, although the Swiss have been among the best at planning ahead and avoiding that.

Posted by
16893 posts

Schilthorn management replied to me today to say:

This is indeed an issue and a wrong information on the English SBB website.
Thank you and your attentive Rick Steves Community to let us know.

I will check to make this right ASAP.
But to assure you:
The Swiss Travel Pass is not granting 100% anymore.
It will be 50% on the Schilthorn.

Posted by
2669 posts

Thanks Laura and everyone!!! Hope i didn't cause any confusion for anyone.

We are still looking forward to Schilthorn. April is getting closer and closer. We can hardly control our excitement!!!