Rick mentions five scenic rail trips. I've heard there is one with fabulous views from the Alps. Any specific suggestions? Thanks.
where will your base be?
Our plans are very flexible but will probably involve Lucerne.
Not sure which 5 Rick recommends.
- This is the SBB (Swiss Federal Railways) list of the best: https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panoramareisen.html
- Somebody else's list of 5 are here: https://lostinswitzerland.com/scenic-train-rides-in-switzerland/
As you can see, only some are convenient if you are staying in Luzern. The best way is to use these routes as you are travelling around Switzerland, not "there and back" day trips.
My personal favourite is the Bernina Pass route over the Alps. That is in the far South-East corner of Switzerland. It is best used as a route between Switzerland and Italy. Not convenient from Luzern.
If you are staying only in Luzern, I would recommend
1) The Brünig Pass route, to Interlaken and back, as a day trip.
2) Also take a lake boat trip to the far end of the lake, then get a train back.
3) Take train and cable car up to the top of one of the 3 local mountains, Pilatus, Rigi or Titlis.
thank you for the recommendations