Please sign in to post.

Saver day pass

I know the dates I’m traveling and have purchased a saver day pass for each of the three days. They were only CHF 52 per day. Why does Rick Steve’s guidebook not recommend this method. It makes sense to me. Much cheaper that the Flex pass unless I’m missing something.

Posted by
2661 posts

The Flex Pass covers more things—museums, some cable cars and mountain excursions. And you don’t need to purchase 60 days in advance and lock in a date.

But the saver day can be a good option if you can commit to a date. I purchased one for my train ride from Zurich airport to Lugano for this Saturday. Buying the ticket after landing at the airport would have been more expensive.

I just pulled out my RS Switzerland guidebook, and unless I missed it, I don’t see mention of the saver day or supersaver tickets. I learned about the saver day pass here on the forum.

I'm glad you found a Pass that works for you. Have a great trip!!

Posted by
2661 posts

Also, I think most people using the Swiss Travel Pass (regular or flex) are using it for 2 weeks. So, the cost of a 15-day Pass is much cheaper than buying 15 super saver day passes.

Posted by
6883 posts

This PDF (safe link to SBB website) map shows the validity conditions of the Half-fare card & Saver day pass.
The Saver Day Pass, without a Half-Fare card, has no effect on the dotted lines, so no discount on any mountain rides with a few exceptions (Rigi, Stanserhorn notably).
Half-Fare Card (and Swiss Travel Pass) does offer a discount on those lines: 50% for the Half-Fare Card, and usually 50% for the Swiss Travel Pass as well except notably the Jungfrau railway, 25% only.

It's the main difference.

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I should have mentioned that I’ll be on a skiing vacation and the ski pass for the Jungrau covers the trains and buses as well as the lifts while in that area and the same goes for Saas Fee.
Bill