Please sign in to post.

Rick in Switzerland Summer 2020

Hi everyone,

I just watched Rick In The Dolomites and Switzerland and loved it. My question, how was Rick able to film in Switzerland, Austria, and Italy in July and August 2020?

Posted by
3894 posts

They filmed it back in 2019, it's copyright 2020, the way they set up the graphic at the end of the video gives the impression it was shot in 2020.

Posted by
2447 posts

It's even more than that -- some of the new episodes were appearing on TV before the dates listed in the closing credits - Rick's crew managed not only to travel during lockdown, but also through time!

Posted by
32198 posts

Bill,

I was also initially confused about that, as I was sure that Rick and his crew had not travelled to Europe this past summer. One of the other forum members clarified the situation for me. That part of the ending credits is on two lines and if I remember correctly the bottom line says only "©2020". As someone else mentioned, these episodes were filmed in 2019 or earlier. RS Europe only airs a new series of shows about every two years, and after filming it takes some time for post production, editing, etc.

I've been really enjoying the new series!

Posted by
31 posts

Yes, it says "filmed in July and August of 2020." That was a mistake by the person adding graphics to the videos and not caught.

My guess, the videos were shot in July and August of 2019 but final post production may not have been done until 2020.

Posted by
2768 posts

It also seems like there was more aerial footage in this episode. Maybe just because the alps call for it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a Swiss/European company get that footage in 2020. Rick and his crew seemed to be there in summer 2019, judging from Ricks blog and the complete lack of masks or any covid indicators in the crowds!

Posted by
854 posts

Since Rick was providing highlights of the upcoming season 11 back in the summer of 2020 I believe that it must have been filmed in 2019. I also caught a few scenes in the mountains that were lifted from their archives/previous year's shows.... Still beautiful.... And episode 4 on Fascism is a shortened version of their hour long 2018 show.

Posted by
8423 posts

It also seems like there was more aerial footage in this episode. Maybe just because the alps call for it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a Swiss/European company get that footage in 2020.

I just watched Rick's first Monday night zoom session (Austrian & Italian Alps), where he mentioned that they've started using a drone to get the high and wide shots.

Posted by
16893 posts

I also found it hard to read, but the text is on two lines, which is meant to make all the difference: “filmed in July and August,” so you won’t ask In which month to get that sunny weather, and the next line, “(small copyright symbol) 2020.”