Please sign in to post.

Rail trip to Switzerland in 2023 (end of April or first of October?)

I need to decide if we book our 2023 rail trip in Switzerland for the last week in April or first week in October? The reason is rates are less for those months and jump considerably after April and before October.

The cities we'll be traveling to are:
Zurich, Lucerne, Lugano, Chur, Zermatt, Montreux & Grindelwald
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
6888 posts

First week of October is better for the mountains!
Last week of April is when ski resorts such as Grindelwald take a little rest (less so Zermatt, which closes around May 1 usually), and when many lifts are closed for maintenance. Also, snow still impedes a lot of mountain hiking.

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you for your reply! We won'd be hiking or skiing. Just riding the trains between cities, staying in hotels for 1 or 2 nights in each city, and enjoying what the city has to offer. I tend to be leaning towards first week in October also due to a little better weather, etc. IF last week in April were to be feasible, that has less of an impact on plans we already had for that time next year, but which could be changed.
We were set to go this year Oct 1st, but family illness has caused us to postpone to next year.

Posted by
6888 posts

Even short walks at altitude can be difficult in April, which can still be very snowy. "Hiking" was a loose term ;)
Also, you mention "enjoying cities": Swiss cities are pleasant, especially Luzern, but they are not the main draw. Make sure to allow enough time in the mountains, especially around Grindelwald.

Posted by
34 posts

Are you saying being in the mountains would be "better" in early October than late April? I know Zurich & Luzern are lower elevations, but are the other 5 cities mountainous?

Posted by
485 posts

End of April can be very pretty in Lugano and Montreux with spring flowers blooming everywhere.
The Morgues tulip festival will be on at this time (near Montreux). https://www.morges-tourisme.ch/en/Z12055/tulip-festival

Zurich and Lucerne can also be pretty with signs of spring coming.

Zermatt and Grindelwald are at higher elevations, but still wonderful to visit this time of year, especially knowing that you are not interested mountain hiking experiences. On sunny days the air is very clear and the mountains look spectacular.

First week of October is also a good choice, everything will be in fall colours and that can sometimes be stunning. Most tourist type things stay open until closer to the end of October.

Both of these options can also have more cold, rainy weather, but that is always the risk you take with travel. In the end I think it is just a matter of preference, and what works best for you. Both are very good options!

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you all for your great feedback! I made the decision to go with the end of April as that time works best for us. This forum was really helpful!