Please sign in to post.

Rail Pass

Hi everyone!

My family and I will be spending 10 days in Geneva (including flights). The majority of our time will be spent in Switzerland, but we plan to do 3 day trips to France (Lyon, Annecy, Chamonix).

Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: Fly to Geneva

Day 2: Geneva

Day 3: Geneva to Montreux and Laussane

Day 4: Geneva to Zermatt (Stay overnight)

Day 5: Return to Geneva

Day 6: Geneva to Lyon

Day 7: Geneva to Annecy

Day 8: Geneva to Chamonix

Day 9: Geneva.

Day 10: Fly Home

We are leaning towards getting a Swiss Travel pass and paying the extra amount when we leave the country. My understanding is the Swiss Travel pass allows for use of public transit in Swiss cities more than a EuRail Pass.

Any thoughts on which rail pass to get? Would a EuRail pass for Switzerland and France make more sense? Or rather a Swiss pass such as the Swiss Half Fare Card?

Thank you very much!

Posted by
8889 posts

How much travelling will you be doing in Switzerland?
If you are restricting yourself to the Geneva area, a pass is probably not necessary. A Swiss Half Price Card may be a good idea. You would have to do the arithmetic yourself.
If you are only doing those 3 trips into France, just buy tickets for those trains.

A Swiss Pass (or Half Price Card) does have more coverage than a Eurail Pass. Some rail lines are excluded from the Eurail Pass, and the Swiss Pass covers all transport: trains + buses + boats + Urban transport.
If you are staying in a hotel in Geneva, you may get a free pass for Geneva City included automatically - check.

Posted by
15 posts

Hello Chris, I've updated my post to include my itinerary, thank you.

From what I've read, it seems like the Swiss Travel Pass is a bit more efficient than the half pass, in that you do not need to buy tickets each time, whereas with the half pass you would. Is that correct?

Posted by
7209 posts

Is there a reason to confine yourself to Geneva? There are many beautiful places in Switzerland but Geneva isn’t one of them.

Posted by
15 posts

We feel that based on where we want to go, and that we don’t want to stay in different AirBNB’s besides Zermatt, Geneva is the most logical home base. Also it has the most transpiration options.

Posted by
20085 posts

If it is convenience rather than cost, then a Swiss Travel Pass is good, but you only have 3 days (consecutive) with any significant travel in Switzerland, so look at that one. It won't help with trips to/from France, and a bus is likely your best option to go to Chamonix.