Please sign in to post.

Pre-Rhine Xmas Market Itinerary for 2016 (yes, we know it's early)

We are super early writing this - we just returned from 3 wks in Italy and you all were SO helpful in planning that trip with us - that I'm already thinking about our next trip. We have a Xmas Market Rhine River Cruise planned (TAUCK) for 2016 leaving out of Basel. We have 3 weeks for this trip, the cruise is only for 1 week . . . so we need help with our pre and post cruise. We leave out of Basel and complete the cruise in Cologne (I will post Germany questions in the Germany Forum). We do want to be in Basel a day or 2 before the Cruise begins to explore Basel on our own. Should we arrive even earlier to do Lucern or something else on our own even earlier. We've read that Lucern has a Xmas Market and it seems to be well liked on this RS forum. Any suggestions would be appreciated . . . arrive a day or 2 early and only do Basel pre-cruise OR arrive several days early and do Lucern or something else before Basel? Any hotel recommendations? Is Zurich our best place to fly into? Now that we are done with the Italy forums - we will be stalking the Switzerland, Germany and maybe Belgium forums (thinking of doing Brussels Xmas market after Cologne). Thanks!

Posted by
977 posts

Well if you are in Basel, Colmar, just over the border has a very fine Christmas market too.

Posted by
15582 posts

I loved the Xmas markets in Colmar . . . Strasbourg too. 2 days minimum. There are other towns in Alsace as well with great markets. Take a look here

Posted by
8889 posts

Basel itself has the largest Christmas market in Switzerland, larger than Luzern. It is in two locations, Barfüsserplatz and Münsterplatz (Minster square) next to the cathedral. It is less than 5 min. walk between the two locations.
Click here for details in English: https://www.basel.com/en/christmas-basel-home-switzerlands-largest-christmas-market

For Basel hotels, they are all listed any bookable on the same site: https://www.basel.com

Basel, and most other Christmas markets, start the last weekend in November. They are already building the stalls in Basel, I came past Barfüsserplatz on the way home today.

If you are flying in from outside Europe, Zürich airport is your best option, about 1h30 from Zürich airport to Basel by train. Apart from a flight from Montreal, Basel airport has no transatlantic flights.
Another option, which may be cheaper, is fly into Frankfurt and take either a connecting flight or the train to Basel.