Please sign in to post.

Power adaptors

Hi everyone. We will be visiting Austria, Germany and Switzerland. What do you recommend for outlet converters/adaptors for us to charge our phones, iPads etc from US to those countries?
Do they use different ones? Same?
Any Amazon links would be a huge bonus!
Thanks!

Posted by
6455 posts

What does etc mean in this case? The easiest might be to just buy an USB-charger when you arrive.

Posted by
210 posts

Hi, primarily phones and iPads. Not sure what else we will need. My wife may want to bring a blow drier…I know, I know…

Posted by
985 posts

You should have no problem picking up a USB charger at the airport or train stations. Just make sure you bring charging cables with you and if your equipment supports one of the fast charging systems all the better. You are looking for something like the one in the link - note the type of prongs the plug has.

Example USB wall charger

I travel with a quick charging 10,000 mAh power bank. That takes about two hours to charge and then I can charge the devices of that as needed. You can partially charge the power bank when travelling on trains, at restaurants etc. I can get the equivalent of about 3.5 phone charges from a full bank, which is plenty for tourist travel.

In the case of power banks, more is not better - it's just more weight. I find 10,000 mAh is the sweet point for me - its not too heavy and is powerful enough for most devices I own.

Posted by
4864 posts

If you have a connection in Europe before your final destination, you may want to bring the appropriate adapter for that country. Safe travels!

Posted by
4438 posts

Go to a site like Amazon and buy a complete set of quality adapters such as Ceptic. You may as well get them all and then you are covered.

Hair dryers are generally a problem. Buy a specific 220v dryer online before you go or buy one upon arrival that you know will work.

Posted by
2331 posts

Unless the hair dryer (or any other appliance you might bring) specifically says it is dual voltage, you need a converter, which is different than an adapter. Without a converter you risk shorting out the hair dryer, possibly causing a fire, and damaging the electrical system where you are staying. Every hotel and apartment I’ve stayed at in Europe has hair dryers. No need to bring one.

Cell phones and iPads are dual voltage.

Posted by
1456 posts

The EU countries are easy: Type C or E/F.

Switzerland can be problematic: they have their own standard.

Posted by
4864 posts

I had a blower brush in a Florence hotel a few years back. I destroyed my brush and knocked out the power in our wing of the hotel.😕

Posted by
36 posts

Just buy Tessan type C with USB’s
Limited-time deal: European Travel Plug Adapter, TESSAN International Power Plug with 2 USB, Type C Outlet Adaptor Charger for US to Most of Europe EU Iceland Spain Italy France Germany https://a.co/d/d8z4Mvg