Please sign in to post.

Please help me with 3 days Iterenary in May 2024

Hello Fellow travellers

My wife and I are planning to travel from Canada To Egypt and in May/June 2024 and were thinking of having a 3 day layover in Switzerland. Flight lands in Zurich on Sunday morning and leaving Wednesday morning to Cairo.

I have never been to Switzerland, My wife loves nature and trains and I want to save. I need help planning a scenic visit and not to exhaust ourselves too much. Can you please help me plan 3 days visit with transportation please and is it to Travel from Zurich direct to Interlaken or Luzern on first day and leave Zurich to last day.

Should I buy Swiss pass for 3 days only or can I save by not buying it.

Thank you very much

George

Posted by
383 posts

If you only have a couple of days, I would just go straight to Luzern and stay there the whole time. You get a bit of everything in one destination - easy transport from the airport, historic old town, beautiful scenery, access to mountains.

Local transportation will be covered by a visitor card from your hotel and this also gives some discounts on nearby attractions. Whether you get a rail pass or not depends on how much you want to do. You really have to take the per day cost of the pass and weigh it against your planned itinerary. If you only want to do one day trip (Mt Rigi plus lake cruise day ticket for example), then you probably don't need the Swiss Travel Pass. If you want to do longer journeys to Berner Oberland or visit a few museums, then you might benefit from the pass (but this will also be more exhausting and less relaxing!). Another option would be to book Saver Day Passes - these are special discounted tickets where you get unlimited travel for a day, 52 francs each. You can buy them online from 6 months out and availability is limited. These are a great option if you don't plan to maximize the benefits of a pass, but would still like the benefits of unlimited travel on certain days. However, just keep in mind that you have to buy them early and can only refund them under limited circumstances.

Fyi, due to track works, there are no direct airport trains to/from Luzern next year, so you will have to change trains in Zurich main station, but this is not too big a hassle. Depending on what time your flight leaves for Egypt, you may be able to take an early morning train from Luzern to the airport. The earliest connection would get you to Zurich airport at about 6:12am. If you have a very early flight, then go to Zurich on Tuesday night and stay at an airport hotel.

Posted by
418 posts

I agree. For a layover, just do Luzern. It's close to Zurich but gives you a great Swiss experience with the mountains & lake. Plenty to occupy your time without trying to put too much into a layover.

Posted by
4412 posts

Keep in mind, a 3 day layover really isn't. Park in Lucerne and explore.