Please sign in to post.

Please critique my itinerary

Hi,

This coming July, my family of four (including a 16 and 14 year old) will be traveling to Switzerland and Italy.

In Switzerland, we will fly into Zurich and my plan is:
Day 1. land in Zurich, take a train to Lucerne
Day 2. Lake cruise, lunch, take train to Lugano
Day 3. Funicular up and hike down Monte Bre, visit little villages, then walking and shopping and dinner in Lugano
Day 4. Train to Florence.
**Please recommend the train with the most spectacular views from Lugano to Florence
Day 5. Leisure day in Florence, shopping
Day 6. Museums
Day 7. Day trip to Lucca and Pisa
Day 8. Day trip TBD
Day 9. Train to Rome
Day 10. Rome
Day 11. Rome
Day 12. Fly home

Posted by
8158 posts

It's a shame you don' t have more time, as you're just hitting the highlights of where you're going. Great European cities are worthy of at least 4 days each, and Florence and Rome are very important travel cities. You're basically riding the train through Switzerland and not hitting the most popular cities in the Alps.

Day 4, you'll be taking the train or bus down to Milan where you catch the train for Florence.
Day 7--skip Pisa and Lucca as your time could be better spent in Florence. They're to the west and out of the way.

You could take a couple of days and travel through the hilltowns of Tuscany like San Gimignano, Certaldo and Volterra by rental car. Siena is another town for a day trip by bus from Florence.

Posted by
7874 posts

If you are of a certain age this could feel like too much time on the train and checking in and out of hotels especially in summer; the crowds in Florence in July are no fun and will make it feel even hotter.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to you both. I agree, it's not enough time in any of these places. I have been to Florence, Rome and Lugano and could spend a week in each for sure. But, it is what it is and it's better than nothing.

I'm late 40s and my husband is early 50s. So far, we still have plenty of energy.

I decided to reverse things and do Switzerland at the end.

Here is what the new itinerary is:

Saturday 20 Arrive in Rome, leisure time
Sunday 21 golf cart tour Pantheon, leisure time
Monday 22 Palatine Hill, House of Livia, Augustus, Forum, Colosseum
Tuesday 23 leisure, trevi fountain
Wednesday 24 Train to Florence
Thursday 25 Academy Uffizi, baptistry
Friday 26 leisure or day trip
Saturday 27 sightseeing or day trip
Sunday 28 train to Lugano leisure, dinner
Monday 29 Funicular toMont Bre hike down and stop at towns on the way, swimming
Tuesday 30 Leave Lugano via Gotthard Express to Lucerne. Lucerne to Zurich. Sleep in Zurich
Wednesday 31 go home

I'd love any info or opinions. Should I add an extra day in Switzerland and take away from Florence? Thank you so much.

Posted by
58 posts

What time does your flight leave from Zurich? If it is not really early, spend the night in Lucerne. Many direct trains from Lucerne to the Zurich airport. It takes a little over an hour from Lucerne to Zurich Airport.