Please sign in to post.

Paris to Murren, Murren to Florence - How?!?

Hi - my husband and are I are hoping to make a stop in Murren, Switzerland for 3 nights and 2 full days in between Paris and Florence in May (arrive Sunday, leave Wednesday). However it seems like it will cost a pretty penny for the train travel. It seems like the best way to go is Paris to Basel SBB, to Interlaken Ost, to Lauterbrunnen BLM, to Grütschalp, to Murren BLM. Then To Florence... Mürren BLM to Grütschalp, to Lauterbrunnen BLM, to Interlaken Ost, to Spiez, to Milano Centrale, to Firenze SMN. We will then be eventually traveling from Florence to Milan.

Is the most budget friendly option to buy a ticket from Paris to Basel, then a Swiss Travel Pass (would this cover all travel in Switzerland??), then the ticket from Spiez to Firenze SMN and Firenze to Milano?? Or book it all separately? Or a Rail pass?? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Posted by
1443 posts

When you get to Basel you could buy a Swiss Half-Fare card for $122. These are cost effective as long as you expect to buy $244 worth of point-to-point rail tickets in Switzerland. You could also buy a 3-day, second class Swiss Travel pass for $220. Which option is most economical depends on your exact travel itinerary; you'd need to price them both to know.

Personally, I recommend the Swiss Travel Pass. It's valid nearly everywhere (not high mountain stuff like the Jungfraujoch), covers rail, boats, cable cars, buses, and nearly all museums. The HFC covers all that stuff, too (except museums), but you still have to buy your ticket each time, whereas the STP is your ticket. It's a nice convenience. I think you have to buy the STP before you go.

Posted by
20201 posts

It is really better to speak in Swiss Francs (CHF) rather than dollars (USD), as when in Switzerland, that is what currency all prices are posted and quoted in. Of course, right now they are virtually the same. Note that the Swiss Travel Pass only gives a 25% discount on the Wengneralpbahn above Wengen and Grindelwald, and the Jungfraujochbahn. It is valid on the Schilthornbahn cable car from Stechelberg in the valley floor to Muerren, and a 50% discount above that. The Half Fare Card, 120 CHF, gives a full 50% discount for all of these.

Posted by
7209 posts

Paris->Basel purchased from www.sbb.ch/en and print at home.

Basel->Murren purchase in Basel OR if you have a STP you just jump on any train you want without buying additional tickets. If you have a Half Fare Card then you'll need to buy tix Basel->Murren.

Murren->Firenze SMN can be purchased from either www.sbb.ch/en OR you can buy the Milano Centrale -> Firenze SMN portion at www.trenitalia.com and you can get some super cheap prices on that portion if you book as soon as the tickets become available.