Please sign in to post.

Paris and Switzerland

Hi everyone!
Sort of last minute trip planned with my husband for our 25th Anniversary. Flying into Paris on July 8 and out of Zurich on July 16. Found a darling airbnb in Paris for the first 3 nights. My hope is to end up in the Berner Oberland area for the last part of our vacation. I am fine doing just two locations, but wondering if we should extend the Paris by one night, or should we drive to see other parts of France before Switzerland to have 3 locations? Or should we just train to Switzerland? Is this too long in the Berner area? Which town should we stay in while there?

TIA for your help!! First time to Europe and we just booked our flights last night.

Posted by
7833 posts

Just keep it to two locations. Get the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. Buy it in Basel it will cover the cost from there to the Berner Oberland.

Posted by
265 posts

I don’t think it’s possible to spend too long in the Berner Oberland. There are plenty of great walks to take in the mountains. We enjoyed staying in Mürren.

Posted by
4074 posts

Two places sounds great to me - especially these two places. There’s no wrong way to divide your time - more a matter of what you are prioritizing on this trip.

We stayed in Lauterbrunnen and loved it. I know lots of people like to stay higher up and I see the reasoning but the valley was good for us. :)

Posted by
8889 posts

Do this by train, do not drive. The train runs via Basel every 2 hours. From Paris to Basel takes 3½ at 200 Km/Hr, during which you can snooze, eat and look out the window. Basel to Berner Oberland is a further 2½ hours.

8th July - 16th July = 7 nights, 4 in Paris and 3 in Berner Oberland (or vice versa) is a good split. Not enough time for 3 locations.
If you want a third location, spend ½ day in Basel to split up your trip. Leave your bags at the staion, and ask directions into the city centre.

"Which town should we stay in" - I recommend the Jungfrau region, one of Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Wengen or Grindelwald.
Info about and hotels in these places here: https://jungfrauregion.swiss/en/summer/