Please sign in to post.

Packing for Switzerland

Looks like we are finally going to make it to Switzerland next month. My question is about packing, I see the average weather is in the 70's to 80's late August to early September. Wondering if we still need a heavy jackets for mountain tops like Top of Europe? Really don't want to pack it if we can just layer up. Specially coming down First, we want to do some of the downhill activities.

TIA

Posted by
5598 posts

We were in Switzerland in January and didn't have heavy jackets. It was about 0 F at the top of Rigi and Schilthorn. I had a rain coat and rain pants, leggings, lightweight long underwear, a fleece top, heavier fleece top etc. Just need to make sure your rain coat and pants can accommodate layers. A raincoat is a marvelous wind breaker and adds a lot of warmth. Obviously, it will be much warmer for you. My point, I don't think heavy clothing will be necessary for you

Posted by
16313 posts

Those may be the “average” highs, but if you are in the mountain villages it can cool off at night. And on any given day it can be cloudy, cooler, and/or rainy. We have spent time in Switzerland in every month from late June to early October, and on every trip have at some point needed good rain jackets and a lightweight fleece. I would not go to the Alps without those 2 items.

Posted by
11161 posts

We wore layers for the top of the Jungfrau, the coldest place we went in late September. Long sleeved tee, sweater, and a windbreaker and I was fine.

Posted by
32213 posts

Sean,

If you're planning to visit any of the mountaintop sights, a jacket would definitely be a really good idea. It's always colder at higher altitudes and if there's even a slight breeze, it will be even colder.

As the others have said, layering is an effective solution. Of course if you just stay inside the facilities (Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn) and don't venture outside, that will be less of a problem.