Please sign in to post.

My Way Alpine Tour

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best time of year to take the My Way Alpine tour? Would love to see flowers in bloom in the alpine areas.

Posted by
16385 posts

I have never taken the tour but have traveled independently to the Swiss Alps 4 times, for 2 weeks each time. We are avid hikers. Most often we went in late July or early August ( and mostly saw dried up flowers) but one time we went in late June/early July and that was when the flowers were out.

But the cows eat the flowers and it is nothing like what you can see here in the US. Paradise at Mt. Rainier is the most extravagant display anywhere, according to John Muir ( and I agree). Along with Denali NP in June and Death Valley in a Superbloom year in February, these wildflower displays far surpass anything you will find in Switzerland. But there is so much else to like in Switzerland----I encourage you to go and see what you can. It is all beautiful, even with sparse wildflowers.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you so much. I live in the Pacific Northwest so your reference to Rainer lets me know exactly what you are referring to. I have been to Switzerland once before but haven't gotten up into the mountains. That will be the focus of this next trip. Thanks again.

Posted by
740 posts

I went on this tour in late July. Trails were open, even if weather didn't always cooperate. If you go early in the season, some of the trails in the vicinity of Lauterbrunnen may still be closed.

Posted by
10 posts

I took that tour 2 years ago in September. No flowers, but it was a great time of year to be there. A little rain here and there, but overall we had incredible weather, perfect for hiking. One benefit of being there in September: we happened to be at the top of the Zugspitze on the first day of Oktoberfest, which was quite an experience, oompah band and all! By the way, this is a fabulous tour!

Posted by
15598 posts

I took the tour in early June, tons of wild flowers in the Dolomites. I saw few in Lauterbrunnen but others went to Murren and said there was a profusion of them. From what I read in the tour review section, the tour before mine and the one after had great weather. Mine was lousy - a lot of rain and so cloudy that I never saw a Swiss Alp, though I did get some views of the German/Austrian ones as well as French ones in Chamonix. But I think that could happen in July or August as well.

Posted by
1 posts

We did this trip in July early. Some snow on the trail in France up high. Flowers were nice.
BEST flowers in US are Ouray or crested butte in Colorado. We went to Rainer and they weren't as stunning.

Posted by
16385 posts

Albion Basin in The Wasatch Range of Utah is my personal favorite, as a (former) botanist.