Please sign in to post.

Murren Via Ferrata

Hi everyone

I am staying in Murren later this month and wanted to know if the via Ferrata is open before 9am. I have my own gear and was hoping to get out before the crowds. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Thank you

Posted by
109 posts

There were no impediments a few years ago on either side. You might get to see BASE jumpers in action.

Posted by
17284 posts

Here is the main page for the via Ferrata:

https://www.klettersteig-muerren.ch/index.php/en/via-ferrata.html

It says it is only open from 9am to 6 pm, and that makes sense to me. They do not want people out there at random times, in the dark or when conditions are dangerous.

My husband did it in 2018 and I walked with him to the start, then walked to Gimmelwald to meet him at the end. I believe there is an actual door you go through at the start, for access to the path. So that door could be locked until 9 am. After that there is free access if you have your own equipment. Our son did that last September.

If you want to be certain, you could contact them at the address on that webpage and ask.

Note that if you are going on your own, without a guide, you cannot do the Tyrolian traverse. There are rope bridges to take you across the abyss instead.