Please sign in to post.

Murren Via Ferrata

So I'm planning to do Via Ferrata from Murren to Gimmelwald tomorrow..

Anybody have experience on this?
I am going to rent the gear from intersport in Murren.. but how do I return it to them once I finish Via Ferrata on Gimmelwald?? - train? walk back?? - is there bus (and are they covered by B-O pass??)

I never done Via Ferrata before, but I am an avid runner and outdoor fanatic- so little exertion is not a problem.. but how hard can this be.. right??? (famous last word.. LOL..)
any comment from people who experienced this would be appreciative.
thank you..

Posted by
2330 posts

I would suggest you do not do this on your own if you have never done this. Do it with a guide. Last year there were several casualties on the Via Ferrata. All people who though they could do it without instructions...

As to how to get back to Murren from Gimmelwald: Just take the cable car. Or walk. BO-Pass covers the cable car.

Posted by
17168 posts

Please listen to WengenK and go with the guide. There have been fatalities recently.

My husband did the Via Ferrata in 2018 with the guide from the shop where you rent the gear. He was very glad to have the guide. I met him at the end in Gimmelwald and we walked back to Mürren together. The cablecar is an option as well.

Our son, age 45, did it on his own last September and was fine, but he is an experienced rock climber and mountaineer. Also a very successful endurance athlete.

Posted by
584 posts

As said above, if you've never done before you 100% need to hire the guide from the Intersport. With equipment it's something like CHF 125. You end in Gimmelwald and ride the cable car back up to Murren or down to Stechelberg, depending on where you're going. All included in the BO pass.

Posted by
246 posts

So I just came back from Via Ferrata.. went to intersport early this morning and there were 2 other groups ahead of me..
Rental was quick and easy.. I didn't have time to make an arrangement for a guide.. so I was on my own...
I saw others who were begginers like me putting on their gear, so I figure I am not alone on this..

I also heard a story about a Canadian hiker who died on this trail last year.. .. so it got me little worried
But I consider myself an expert hiker.. so this shouldn't be that bad..

One thing to consider - bring good hiking boots.. the metal foot steps drilled into the cliffside is slippery without a good boots.. that can make all the difference..
The suspension bridge near the end of hike is very wobbly... high winds and you can be in big trouble.. that really got my heart pumping..and take your time..
the hike is 3 hours, so bring water and sunscreen..
Thank you wengenK, Lola and wanderweg for your input.. Sorry I didn't follow your recommendations, I didn't have much time planning this...

One thing I admire about Swiss, is their honor system.. Intersport didn't even take deposits for equipment rental.. they just trust you'll bring it back... When i came back to Murren to return the equipment, they just told me to drop off the equipments on the front door.. they didn't even care who was dropping off the equipment.. That never happens in US...

Posted by
2330 posts

The "wobbly bridge" at the end is where that Canadian women tragically fell to her death last year. She was not secured properly. If you do this with a guide they make sure that you do this right. Also with a guide you can use some of the tyroliennes, that you cannot use when you are on your own.

Posted by
171 posts

Do you need a reservation to rent the gear, have a guide and do the Via Ferrata?

Posted by
246 posts

No reservation necessary for gears..
Just walked in, and say Via Ferrata gears.. they have you sign a disclaimer, and then they give you a gear... oh they charge you 30CHF for the gear rental... but no deposits necessary..

I went there around 10AM - 2 other groups ahead of me... quick information session.. and they send you away.. The whole process took 10min..
By the time I went to return the gear around 2PM - there were lines outside the door...
So go early...

Posted by
171 posts

@WengenK: what’s a tyrolienne?
On the internet it says it’s a lively peasant dance from the Tyrol…