Please sign in to post.

Murren in May?

We have always wanted to visit Murren for some scenery and hiking.. I found a great fare to Zurich in late May, and jumped on it. Then after I started reading closely, I realized that May might not be the best time to go to Murren, I guess I acted too quickly. However, we really want to visit, and maybe the weather will be okay after all. It does look like there is a Rick Steves trip that goes through Murren at the same time, so how bad can it be?

I'm thinking of doing this.....three days in Luzern, then I have double booked hotels for three days in Murren and also three days in Lugano at the same time. As it gets closer, we'll check on the weather and cancel one of the Murren or Lugano hotels. I would really like to go to Murren, but perhaps I screwed up and should just do that portion another summer, in July or August. What do you guys think?

Posted by
375 posts

We were there last year mid May. The day we arrived the weather was cold a rain/snow mix. The next day it was sunny and blue skies. We went up to the Schilthorn and spent several hours taking in the spectacular views. We came down and did a walk from Murren to Gimmelwald. This day was the highlight of our trip. This seemed to be a quiet time of year to be there. Not everything was open. I believe we got very lucky with the weather.

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you for the post. I'm glad you had a beautiful day there! It seems kind of iffy, like it could go either way. I guess there are no guarantees, that's for sure. I just can't decide if we should take the chance or not.

Posted by
12040 posts

Because you plan to visit during an unpredictable time of year, spending three whole days (four nights) in Mürren is a good way to mitigate the risk that the entire visit will be a washout. Expect to lose at least one day to bad weather, however. But if you only meant one full day and included your travel days to and from, you might set yourself up for disappointment.

Posted by
1443 posts

I found a great fare to Zurich in late May, and jumped on it. Then
after I started reading closely, I realized that May might not be the
best time to go to Murren...

Good for you! Late May, early June is an excellent time to be in the region. I've been there several times in late May and it has always treated me well weather-wise. May and June average 6 rain days in that part of CH, while July and August average 5 days. May and June are far less crowded. The only drawback is high-altitude hiking trails are likely to still be closed, but that's trivial as there are a million other great ones to do which will be open.

Posted by
49 posts

That's all good news. It would be awful to have just one day there, and that's the day it rains like crazy. Good to know there's a decent chance for reasonable hiking weather in late May. We don't need to hike any huge peaks, just some nice long strolls in the mountains.