Please sign in to post.

Mt Pilatus Excursion

We are traveling to Switzerland in August and are going to visit Mt Pilatus while in Lucerne for the day. A few websites (including Rail Europe) say that the cogway train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus is free with a Swiss Travel Pass, however Rick Steves doesn't mention that in his latest Switzerland book. Does anyone know if the Pilatus cogway is free with the Swiss Travel Pass? Also, we would like to take the cableway and gondola down the mountain but I cannot seem to find the price for a one-way ticket from Pilatus to Kriens on the cableway and gondola. Is it discounted 50% with the Swiss Travel Pass? Any information regarding the Mt. Pilatus trip would be very helpful, thank you!

Posted by
32206 posts

Are you going to be travelling by boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad? If so you'll have to buy a first class ticket to get the best views from the top deck. It will likely be very busy in August so be prepared for a wait in order to board the cogwheel train going to Pilatus.

When you arrive in Kriens, you'll have a short (~10 minute) walk downhill to connect with the Bus that goes back to the station in Lucerne. Once you get down to the main street, turn right as there's a bus stop about half a block from that point.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for the info Sam and Ken!
Ken - If we have 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass tickets, can we pay extra for 1st class tickets for the boat ride? Also, do you suggest that we do the trip in reverse since you said the cogwheel train is busy in August from Alpnachstad to Pilatus? Maybe if we start at Kriens and take the gondola/cableway up and the cogwheel down, we can avoid the crowds.

Posted by
16893 posts

Full coverage of Alpnachstad to Pilatus and Pilatus to Kriens with a Swiss Travel Pass is new as of this January, so don't look for that info in any printed guidebook. Of course that's when using a rail pass travel day. Our info at https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/switzerland-rail-passes reflects the annual changes. You normally can pay to upgrade from second class to first by paying the price difference between the full-fare tickets in each class.

Posted by
32206 posts

"do you suggest that we do the trip in reverse since you said the cogwheel train is busy in August from Alpnachstad to Pilatus?"

In August I suspect Pilatus is going to be packed regardless of which direction you travel in. I was there last September and it was busy even then. My preference is to do the uphill segment on the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad as the view is incredible when looking uphill as the train approaches the top. Similarly the view downhill to Kriens from the cable cars is fantastic (this only shows a small part of it).