Please sign in to post.

Montreux Jazz Festival

Has anyone reading this forum been to the Montreux Jazz Festival? If so, do you have any advice on where to stay, get tickets, etc. Similarly, what hotel recommendations and side trips can anyone recommend from Geneva? Will my inability to speak French be a problem?

Posted by
3391 posts

Yes! Several years ago we attended. Tickets are available online on their website. If there is a performer you specifically want to see, hunt for the day the tickets go on sale and get online the minute they do. I set my alarm for the middle of the night to get up and buy them. If you stay in Montreux there are many venues in town that offer performances and there are also fields outside of town that are used with constructed stages. The hotels in the area book up quickly for the time during the festival so getting them well in advance is a must. The website offers lots of logistical information and there are shuttles that run around during the festival carrying people to the various venues.
There is lots to see in the area! The cathedral in Geneva in the old town has great excavations underneath down to the 1st century. CERN is an interesting tour IF you are into science and IF you can get tickets - they have very limited availability. Take one of the old ferries along the shore of Lake Geneva. Gruyere is fun for the cheese as well as the beautiful little fortified town. Go to Vevey and see the food museum...it sounds weird but is really quite good! Chateau Chillon in Montreux is a highlight of the area. You can also go further out to the St Bernard Pass at the Italian border, Chamonix is just a few hours away by train and an hour or so by car. Up the valley toward Zermatt you can see the city of Sion - beautiful castle and ancient church on the two hills in the middle of town. Mont Fort has the highest bar in Europe and stunning views on a clear day. If you like music festivals, there is also a really good one in nearby Verbier. They attract incredible international artists and it's a much smaller festival than Montreux, and in a beautiful town and mountain setting.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you so much for your response. Finding someone who has attended this is like looking for a needle in a haystack.