Please sign in to post.

Milan to Zurich

Travelling from Milan to Zurich.- very excited but stuck.......

Leaving Milan on Tuesday 04/06/19 anytime is fine. I need to know what is the most scenic route to get to Zurich. I will have a full size suitcase with me plus carry on baggage.

I am unsure about changing trains with luggage- enough time to change, distance to carry luggage etc are factors to be considered.
However if its straight forward then I don't have issues with it.

I do not mind spending 6-8 hours on train if I get to have a memorable experience.

Will have 2 more full days in Zurich with half third day before flying out. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
Borya.

Posted by
20067 posts

If you want scenery, you will have to change trains a few times.

The most straight forward would be the Gotthard Panorama Express. Train from Mllano centrale to Lugano where you change to the "Express" the train takes the older route with a lot of loops up to the old Gotthard Tunnel then down the other side of the Alps, then change to a lake boat in Fluelen and the rest of the way to Luzern where you get a train to Zurich. That will have some luggage toting between train platforms and boat docks at both Fluelen and Luzern.

Another is to take a train to Tirano, Italy, then change to the Bernina Express over the Bernina Pass then to Chur through more loops, over the famous Landwasser Viaduct on all the Swiss travel posters. At Chur, get a train to Zurich. You will have to change stations in Tirano, but it is a very short walk across a piazza.

Both of these take 9 to 9 1/2 hours with comfortable connection times. Or resign your self to taking the direct train to Zurich that goes through the new Gotthard Base Tunnel. 35 miles long going underneath all that scenery in 3 hours and 25 minutes.

PS Another option is to do the Gotthard route skipping the boat ride in Luzern, Train to Lugano, then a 1 hour change to a train to Erstfeld over the mountains, then a 1 hour change time to a train to Zurich. 6 3/4 hours.

Posted by
7209 posts

My first thought Is: why are you spending so much time in Zurich? The city is mostly business and banking and high end shops. There are nicer places in Switzerland to spend your time...namely Lucerne.

Posted by
8889 posts

First, I agree with Tim's point, why Zürich? It is not the mountains. If you want scenery, stay in the mountains. Obvious choice is as Tim says Luzern. From Milan, it takes no longer to get there than would Zürich, and Luzern to Zürich airport is only 70 minutes. So you can get there easily on the morning of your flight.

Luzern has:
1) A nice old town to explore
2) A lake with boats to go on.
3) Three local mountains you can get trains or cable cars to the summits (Rigi, Pilatus at Titlis).

You can do a round trip up Pilatus. Leave Luzern by boat, round to the far side of the mountain. Up the mountain by a funicular, and back down the other side by cable car, bus back to Luzern.Info here: https://www.pilatus.ch/en/discover/golden-round-trip/

Luzern 360° panorama: http://tour.luzern.com/360/en/

Back to the train question. The main line north from Milan goes through the Gotthard Base tunnel under the Alps. The longest rail tunnel in the world, 3h25 Milan to Zürich or 3h16 to Luzern. You will miss the best of the Alps because you will be underground.
More scenic routes are possible, using the old line, or via the Bernina Pass line. Both routes require many hours more and multiple changes of train.

I would head straight for Luzern and stay there. You will see plenty of Alps.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks Chris

Catching with family friends in Zurich.

But I like the suggestion of Luzern

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks Sam

Thats excellent advice. Can you please tell me how to book the trains- website? Do I need to book separate tickets till Tirano and then new tickets for rest of the journey?

Thanks again

Posted by
20067 posts

You do not need to "book" the connection from Milan to Tirano, it is an Italian regional train which is unreserved and always the same price. You can buy a ticket when you get to Milan. Cost is 11.50 EUR 2nd cl, or 17.50 EUR 1st cl. Take the 10:20 train to get you to Tirano at 12:52.

For the continuation to Zurich, I'll assume you want to take the named Bernina Express Train. Go to www.sbb.ch/en. Put in Tirano to Zurich HB and via Chur and your date (June 4) and time you want to depart (13:00) and click red search button. You will see a list of trains, note the one departing at 14:25 with a red "PE". That is the Bernina Express, with the connection from Chur to Zurich. Click on the red button, then enter your name and date of birth and the reduction pull down menu click on "no reduction", assuming you don't have a Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare card. Now look below and you will see a block with a black "%" in the corner. Click on that and then "Saver Day Pass". Now you will see the price of 52 CHF. You just saved 40 CHF. The Saver Day pass allows unlimited travel for the rest of the day in Switzerland. Then go to payment.

Here comes the tricky part. SBB requires on-line credit cards payment with 3-D security. That means you need something like Verified by Visa or MasterPass, where you enter a 4-digit PIN during the transaction. The exception is American Express or Diners Club. Use one of those if you have them.

You're not done yet. The Bernina Express requires a seat reservation you have to get from the actual Bernina Express operator, Rhaetische Bahn. https://shop.rhb.ch/en/catalog/product/view/id/18
You now have to book your seat reservation for 16 CHF. go through the process again selecting the 14:25 train from Tirano to Chur, then continue to seat reservation. You will get a train map showing 5 cars. 1 & 2 are 1st class so look at cars 3, 4, & 5, You'll see what seats are taken and you can pick a seat, then go to payment cart. There, click on "GA Travel Card" and they will take out the cost of the ticket (you already paid SBB for the ticket) and you will be left with 16 CHF due for the seat reservation.

Yes, its complicated.

BTW, there are several nice little pizzerias by the RhB station to have some lunch waiting for the Bernina Express.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks a million Sam very helpful.

Another question any big difference between 1st and 2nd class on Bernina express?

Posted by
20067 posts

I really don't think so. I've done the Glacier Express in 1st class and the Bernina in 2nd, and 2nd is fine. Confession: the only reason I went 1st class on the Glacier Express is because someone else was paying for it. First class is always the way to go if it is not coming out of your own pocket.

Sorry, just noticed you were from NZ. Credit card issues are generally specific to USA. My Canadian friends never seem to have any issues.