Please sign in to post.

Milan to Interlaken

Hi,

We are taking the train from Milan to Interlaken.

On which website should I purchase the tickets?

Also, should I purchase the Swiss Travel Pass first and then apply it to these purchases?

TIA!

Posted by
334 posts

Do you have the Trenitalia app? I just checked and there’s a EC train from Milano Centrale with one change in Speiz (very close to Interlaken Ost)
Leaves around 1120
Fare seems reasonable
You could get your Swiss pass in Switzerland

Posted by
19637 posts

Trenitalia will only sell you a ticket as far as Spiez since that is as close as any trains from Italy go. I would get the Swiss Travel Pass first, since that may reduce the price of the ticket from Milan to Spiez and cover the rest of the journey to Interlakenen.

If you really want to save money, take a regional train from Milan to Domodossola costing 10.80 EUR, then change to a Swiss regional express train to Spiez that uses the more scenic route rather than the fast one that uses the new Loetschberg Base Tunnel. at Spiez get a train to Interlaken. That way the trip from Domodossola to Interlaken is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

Posted by
133 posts

Thanks!

So basically, purchase on Trainitalia website to get to Spiez ( either the fast option or via Domodossola) - and from Spiez use the Swiss Travel Card to get to Interlaken at beyond( we are headed to Gimmelwald)

Appreciate it!

Posted by
19637 posts

Actually, with a Swiss Travel Pass in hand, you can book at www.sbb.ch/en if you want to use the EC train to Spiez. Cost is 26 CHF. I don't see where to get a discount for the Swiss Travel Pass at the Trenitalia site.

If to Domodossola, on the Trenitalia site. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, you do not need to book anything, just get on the next Swiss train and show your pass when the conductor asks to see it.

That cheap way I mentioned only works with departures from Milano Centrale at 7:25 am, 1:25 pm, 3:25 pm, and 5:25 pm.