Please sign in to post.

Mid October 2018 in Switzerland

Hello everyone,

i am planning to visit Switzerland between October 14th and 23rd with my wife and 9 yr old daughter. Is this a good time for this tour ? i am open to any region, what would be the best region to visit. We like small towns and mountain trains, cable cars and a bit of hiking.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

ss.

Posted by
23266 posts

Don't know what you mean by "a good time." Certainly the tourist level is down but weather is changing and winter is coming. It should be cooler, days much shorter, and certainly snow at higher elevations. If you are prepared for that then it should be fine.

Posted by
967 posts

I have limited experience with Switzerland, but had one perfect long weekend in the Appenzell in mid October when the fall colors were beautiful, and the cows and hang gliders were present everywhere. Last October we made the train trip from Munich to Chur to catch the Bernina Express, with overnights in Chur and near Pontresina at the Hotel Muottas Muragl. Weather was ideal, and there were many hikers on the second leg of our trip on the BE route. I had hoped to add the Lauterbrunnen Valley to that trip, but it felt too late in the season to be ideal timing.

Posted by
768 posts

If you "like small towns and mountain trains, cable cars and a bit of hiking" then you want to be in the Berner Oberland, such as Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, etc. I'll send our favorite hikes to your private forum mail. If you are signed in, it will say "unread mail" in the upper right. Click on that.

Posted by
2125 posts

Hi ss, we were in Murren Oct 5-11, 2017. It snowed a bit on the first and third days (flurries, no accumulation), the other days were partly to very sunny. Temps were in the 40-60 degree range. I don't know if this was typical weather but that's what we experienced. We visited the Schilthorn and Jungfrau and did some hiking around Murren, Gimmelwald, Trummelbach Falls, and Lauterbrunnen. Murren checks off all your boxes. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Have fun!