Please sign in to post.

May or June 2024 for Swiss travel

I have two options for Swiss travel - for approximately 13 days..
Are there any difference in weather/crowd/ price /facilities for Middle of May vs.. middle of June?

I can either start May 15 -29
or June 15-29..
Perhaps July with some schedule wrangling...

We'll be doing lot of hiking and mountain trekking, so weather is our #1 priority..
Taking into consideration weather, prices/ crowds and facilities (restarurants/hotel opening, gondolas opening, hiking trails open etc.. ), which month is best for Swiss travel..
thank you...

Posted by
267 posts

Think the June dates are the best - that’s when I go for hiking around Lauterbrunnen… before the big crowds and hot weather.

Posted by
7879 posts

June as lot of trails at higher elevations are not open in May as it is too muddy snowy to hike.

Posted by
81 posts

I was originally planning for May myself and learned that some of the trails would not be open and that muddy trails were also likely at that time. I would definitely go with June or early September.

Posted by
2324 posts

June. We were there in late June and some trails had just opened due to the amount of snow. If you go in May, you may still have some closures.

As for weather, you have to be prepared for everything. We had clouds and some rain in late June for a part of the day for 5 of the 6 days we were there. Keep your schedule flexible and go where weather dictates. When it was cloudy in Wengen, we went to Lake Brienz. When it was rainy, we went to Tummelbach Falls. When we got a clear morning, we went to Jungfraujoch. We did get caught in a heavy rainstorm while we were on the First mountain carts and were delayed getting down the mountain when lightning shut down the gondolas. We were just thankful we weren’t IN one of the gondolas at the time!

Posted by
32818 posts

I have been there every month from April to September and I think the sweet spot is June.

Posted by
29 posts

I agree with Nigel. June can be sunny or rainy as can be every month from April-Oct. June is usually nice but not to hot. Crowds are less than July and August. Weather there can change fast from day to day and even hour to hour. My other sweet spot is Sept 10-Sep 20th. I have had real good luck with sun then and smaller crowds for trains and restaurants and some hotels start to reduce prices a little then.

Posted by
29 posts

One other thing. Schilthorn is usually sunny in the early morning and crowds are less but again unexpected clouds can roll in or leave.