Please sign in to post.

Luzern in Feb 2024 - 2 questions

Hello! I'm off to Luzern arriving Feb 6 and flying home to Vancouver Feb 16. Mainly I'm going for Fasnacht (on my bucket list for 40 years), but I have time for other things too.

1. We are thinking of a day trip to Lugano. Is the Gotthard tunnel still closed and the trains are taking the slow route? Because we are staying in Luzern the whole time, we don't plan to get any train passes. What is the most economical way to get by train to Lugano?

2. I like to buy art when I travel -- prints, posters, small paintings by local artists. They are light to pack home and then I get them framed nicely. Does anyone know which shops I should seek out in Luzern?

Thanks! Any Fasnacht tips are appreciated. I'm more interested in observing and taking pictures of the costumes and less into the partying aspect. I'm going with my daughter who has lived there since 2018.

Posted by
17284 posts

The deep tunnel is still closed, and the direct Intercity train between Luzern and Lugano is going over the Gotthard pass route. SBB says the travel time is 2.5 hours each way. The least expensive way to get there and back in one day would be to buy a Saver Day Pass for a particular day—-right now those are 61 CHF. But you are committed to the day you pick; the Day Pass is not changeable.