Please sign in to post.

Luzern direct airport train news for Dec 2023 - Dec 2024

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before as I don't check every post, but just a heads up that the new draft of the SBB schedule shows the direct train between Luzern and the Zurich airport will not operate as usual from the next train schedule change (effective Mid December 2023).
Due to construction work between Zurich HB and the airport, the IR70 and IR75 trains will now end in Zurich main station and you will have to transfer to another train to get to the airport. They claim there will be minimum additional time added to the journey, but it does make it slightly less convenient, especially if you have a lot of bags or mobility issues. The route should go back to normal from the next schedule change in mid-Dec 2024.
Anyone who wants to have a look at the proposed schedule for all of SBB can check here (in German)
https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable/online-timetable/timetable-change.html

Posted by
32767 posts

I hadn't seen that before - very interesting.....

Posted by
2675 posts

Thanks hopper for sharing that. That’s very good to know. So, it sounds like all of 2024 will involve a change at Zurich HB. ☹ Like you said, not a huge deal, but it was super nice not having to change trains with luggage.

I’ll be back in Switzerland next June and will add this info. to my notes.

Posted by
383 posts

Yes, we had the same where I live a couple of years ago, so guess it’s Luzern’s turn now. All in all a relatively minor thing compared to when they totally rebuild the station - thankfully that’s still a ways off! There are a lot of projects going on though as capacity needs to be increased for the growing population. This summer there is tons of work happening on the east/west axis where I live, so basically all weekends from July to September I will have longer journeys to Zurich and Basel, with messed up schedules in all directions - not ideal! The only bonus is one rerouting means a temporary direct train to Interlaken, so I’ll have to brave the crowds and try to take advantage! :)

Posted by
2675 posts

Just bumping this up to the top as a reminder.

Thanks again Hopper!!

Posted by
1655 posts

If you don't mind a slightly longer trip time here is a tip: Change in Thalwil to the S2.

The change between IR75 and S2 is cross platform in Thalwil. S2 ends at the Airport, so you have a bit more time to get off. This will only add 12 minutes to your trip.