Please sign in to post.

Luzern

We will be in Luzern for 2 1/2 days in early Sept. following a river cruise down the Rhine. Trying to decide on whether to go to Mt. Pilates, Rigi or Titlus or perhaps 2 of the 3. Any advice? Any other suggestions for this timeline? Thanks

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you, Perry. Well, it would be fun to follow in Mark Twain's "footsteps". I'm guessing he wrote about his visit to Mt. Rigi in "The Tramp Abroad", which I've been meaning to read. I think he wrote "The Innocents Abroad" after an earlier trip to Europe and before the rail was built up to Rigi.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation.
Any others want to weigh in on which mountain would be their choice to visit when staying in Luzern?

Posted by
2713 posts

We chose Rigi because it was free with the Swiss Pass, which we had. It was very overcast but started clearing on the way down. It's a fun trip and would definitely be worthwhile in good weather, even if you have to pay. Fortunately I have no transgressions, so I did not have to repent. ; )

Posted by
11294 posts

Like Carroll, I made my decision for financial reasons - the Swiss Pass covers the whole trip to Rigi, but not the whole trip to the others. While I therefore can't compare them, I can say that the constantly shifting skies and views on the boat from Luzern to Vitznau were amazing, even before I took the train up through the clouds to Rigi Kulm.

One tip: If you have any kind of mobility impairment, be sure to go both ways via Vitznau, where the walk between the dock and the train is short and only slightly inclined. From the dock to the cable car at Weggis, it's a long and VERY vertical walk - figure 10 minutes down (straight down), and 20 minutes up.

My trip took about 4-5 hours total (don't remember exactly), and I felt that was enough for the day. in a short visit like yours and mine (I was there 3 nights, but one was my arrival day from the US), I can't see doing more than one of these three peaks.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks, everyone. I was focusing on going to Mt. Pilates but after your posts and reading more about Rigi, I think this mountain and the area around looks interesting.

Posted by
9 posts

Hello again Perry. Thanks for your message. HaHa. My copy of "Tramp Abroad" arrived yesterday but I was planning to read it during our trip in August. Perhaps I should read now! Sounds fun!
Happy travels to you.