Please sign in to post.

Lausanne or Lucerne - 3 days

We are planning our Honeymoon in Switzerland for September and are looking for suggestions on visiting Lausanne or Lucerne to finalize our itinerary. We will have three nights to spend in either location. In Lausanne, we would be interested in wine tasting and were curious if anyone has attended the annual Grape Harvest Festival in Lutry. I have visited Lucerne in the past, however my fiancé has never been. Any suggestions on one vs the other?

Posted by
32198 posts

I've been to both and would most definitely feel that Lucerne will be a better choice. In addition to the sights in the city, there are some nice day trip possibilities from Lucerne.

Posted by
262 posts

The Lutry Wine Festival is one of our favorites. Very festive and fun.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks, Ken, for the vote! Lucerne is so beautiful, I agree! Do you find the side trips to be unique to Lucerne? We are going to visit the Berner Oberland & Zermatt for hiking - would love any details about areas around Lucerne that would be unique.

LacLeman - are all of the cellars open for tastings during the festival? Do they require reservations? Would love any details about your experience! Thanks for the reply!

Posted by
32198 posts

Some of the side trips are kind of unique to Lucerne, for example the trips to Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi. While in Lucerne you could also take cruises on the lake, visit the excellent Musuem of Transport or visit the famous Lion of Lucerne which Mark Twain wrote about. Lucerne is one of my favourite cities in Europe.

I didn't realize you were also planning to visit the Berner Oberland as I would have suggested that too. Which town are you planning to stay in there?

If you decide to stay in Lausanne because of the wine festival, one nice day trip is to take the elegant old steam paddlewheeler from Ouchy (which is down the hill from Lausanne) to Château de Chillon, returning by train.

Posted by
9 posts

Ken, thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!
I suppose if I share my full itinerary it may be helpful:

• Bern - 3 nights
  • Murren - 4 nights
  • Zermatt - 3 nights
  • Either Lausanne or Lucerne - 3 nights
  • Fly out of either Geneva or Zurich (depends on the above choice!)

Do you feel that Lucerne is still the better route vs Lausanne knowing my itinerary? I am truly torn! If they are both lovely, we may lean towards Lausanne (and the surrounding areas) since I have been to Lucerne (and LOVE it!) - but just to try something new.