Please sign in to post.

Lucerne

If you had to make a choice while in Lucerne between going to Mount Pilatus or the Stanserhorn, which would you choose?

Posted by
20178 posts

If you had a Swiss Travel Pass, the Stanzerhorn would be free, but you only get a discount for the trip to Pilatus.

Posted by
8467 posts

Sam we've only done Pilatus. But we went there because the hotel front desk clerk suggested we go to directly because the weather up top was good but would be cloudy later. And it was.

Posted by
45 posts

Thanks for posting. I've been trying to decide, too, for our trip in June. I am now kind of leaning toward Stanserhorn versus Mt Titlis. If anyone has any comments between these two, please let me know. I'm hoping to do Stanserhorn either way, but would like to add in one of the other two, too.

Posted by
1674 posts

I have not been to Stanserhorn. What I did was take the boat across Lake Luzern to the cogwheel train up the mountain to Pilatus and then coming down I took the gondolas. The overall trip was very nice. The weather was clear and so I think that is the real difference.

Posted by
20178 posts

Why would you need a tour company? Just buy the tickets and go.

Posted by
8467 posts

It's pretty easy to do it yourself, and the sights on the mountain are self-explanatory. When we went there were two passes (we bought at rail station) the Silver and the Gold pass which covered all transport to and from Pilatus.

Posted by
1674 posts

It is called the Golden Round Trip ticket and you can buy tickets online at numerous places or just buy a ticket at each interval (boat ride to the cogwheel train, ticket up to Pilatus and buy a ticket for the cable car down). Might be a little more money, but having all tickets in advance is easier because you never know the length of lines at any interval to buy tickets. Personal choice.

Posted by
4772 posts

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass the trips to Mt Rigi and Stanserhorn are all included- no buying tickets. Mt. Rigi is a half day trip; Stanserhorn is 45 minutes from the Lucerne train station to the summit, a short trip. You could easily do both in one day, go up to Stanserhorn for the sunset.
My. Pilates is discounted with the STP. There is a sale thru mid-May on the pass.
My Titlis is probably a full day trip, it's spectacular at about 10,000', but I did not make the trip from Lucerne.
Safe travels!