Please sign in to post.

Lauterbrunnen

Does anyone know if you can leave luggage at the train station in Lauterbrunnen? We would like to go see the Trummelbach and Staubbach Falls before checking into our hotel in Mürren.
Thanks!

Posted by
20072 posts

In case your German is rusty, the verbiage beneath the note of 12 lockers available translates as

Larger pieces of luggage can be handed in at the counter for a fee of CHF 3 per item/day and will be stowed in a luggage room (not accessible 24 hours a day).

Posted by
81 posts

Great to know they have lockers. Just trying to save time in not going up to Mürren and back down again. Thank you!
And thanks for the translation and coin tips!!!

Posted by
1768 posts

Does the transit pass you have cover buses up the valley? If so maybe you can just take the bus from Lauterbrunnen out the valley floor, and then get on the cable car up to Murren at the far end of the valley. You could just bring your bags with you.

The waterfalls are pretty, but they aren't really much of a visit per se, more something to just look at and from a little bit of distance is fine.

Posted by
2666 posts

I hope you do enjoy the walk down in Lauterbrunnen valley. It was one of my favorite things to do. My sister and bro in law enjoyed the walk up behind Staubbach Falls. I stayed behind to take pictures of them. We all loved Trummelbach falls. I thought they were way more impressive in person that what I had seen in photos and videos.

Posted by
1159 posts

Agree with Carrie, and we enjoyed the falls. It's worth a stop over just to browse through the town.

Posted by
32736 posts

in my opinion Trummelbach Falls is an excellent experience. The previous poster upthread said to just view them from a distance, they're not much. I disagree. I actually don't know how you can view them from a distance - they are inside the rock and to see them you have to be too. I wouldn't want to do that hauling luggage. I don't know how you could, some of the stairs are quite narrow and wet. I wouldn't think luggage would really want to get soaked.

Posted by
1768 posts

Sorry but I certainly didn't say "they're not much." The falls in question are magnificent. We walked the entire valley, including up close to the falls.

What I'm saying is that you don't need to be underneath or behind the waterfalls to be wowed by them. The same way that you don't need to stand underneath the Eiffel Tower to appreciate it. My general sentiment was that if storing bags and taking time to walk in the valley is cutting into limited time that the OP might prefer to spend up the hill, don't worry about the FOMO - the valley is beautiful from all perspectives. For me the waterfalls did not magnify into something so much better by standing right underneath them.

If the OP is into walking right up the waterfalls more than the alternative uses of the time, abondanza, it's certainly an option.

Posted by
81 posts

Thanks for all the input. I’ve actually seen both falls but my travel companions have not. I agree you don’t have to walk under the Staubbach Falls to appreciate the beauty but I wouldn’t want to miss them. . And I think the Trummelbach are well worth the trip down the valley. It’s exhilarating to watch and hear them inside the mountain! I’m sure my friends will love them!