Please sign in to post.

Lake Geneva

We are a group of 6 adults thinking of ending our July trip on Lake Geneva. We will have had a hectic time touring and are wanting a more low key slower pace for 4 or 5 days. Ideas on where to stay and some things we shouldn't miss?

Posted by
7209 posts

You want slower pace and beautiful scenery then head to the Berner Oberland...which is not in Geneva. Geneva is NOT the Swiss experience you're probably looking for.

Posted by
11294 posts

On Lake Geneva, you probably won't want to spend much time in Geneva itself, but will enjoy the smaller towns such as Vevey. The Montreux waterfront is lovely (I didn't see the rest of the town), and the Chateau de Chillon was interesting, although when I went it was mobbed.

In Lausanne (second largest city on the lake, after Geneva, so you may not want to linger there), I loved the Museum of Outsider Art, and the Olympic Museum was also very interesting.

Posted by
19630 posts

Perhaps Evian-les-Bains, France, source of the bottled water.

Posted by
315 posts

MOKA, a recently release French movies has scenes from the above suggestions. The movie is a bit slow. We have cycled in the area, it is lovely.

Posted by
3387 posts

Of all the towns along Lake Geneva, Vevey is my favorite! It's a olittle more low-key and less crowded than some, has a beautiful old city center, a nice weekly market, and a great waterfront to walk along.

Posted by
60 posts

It's been too long since I've spent a vacation in the area to give you detailed advice but from everything I've read Geneva isn't much of a tourist destination unless you want to visit CERN. Like the others already said you'll probably be happier in places like Montreux, Vevey, Lausanne.

In addition to castle Chillon and the mentioned towns, I'd also like to suggest the vineyard terraces around Lavaux and the caves in Vallorbe. Places in the area that are on my "bucket list" for the region include Rochers de Naye, underground lake in St. Leonard (a bit further away)

Posted by
12 posts

We have stayed near Montreux and loved the beautiful lakeside walk. Also, Nyon has a nice old town and a wonderful street market if you are there on the right day. We took the round trip cruise boat from Montreux to Geneva..with stops along the way. It is very relaxing and beautiful scenery both going and coming. Evian on the French side was nice too. I think it would be an excellent way to wind down after your busy schedule.