Please sign in to post.

Lake Geneva

Looking for some travel tips for our 5 days at Lake Geneva. Our home base is Vevey. The towns we think we want to visit are:
Montreaux, Gruyere, Zermatt, and Sion. Are we missing any must see? Any suggestions as to how we plan our days? We will have a car but would like to take advantage of the boats on lake geneva. I know Zermatt is a day trip, but not sure how long to spend in other towns. We like to walk, probably not serious hikers. Love to eat. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ideas.

Posted by
3601 posts

I'd add Martigny to your list. The star attraction is the Fondation Pierre Gianadda. PG had eclectic taste. He created his foundation with his art collection, antique car collection, and Roman archaeological finds. Something for everyone.

Gruyere is small - half a day at most. Fribourg is close by. The Espace Jean Tinguely - Niki Saint Phalle is great fun. They were two artists, married to each other, with vastly different styles. Many of their works will make you smile.
Don't forget Chateau du Chillon, when you visit Montreux. I believe you can take a boat from Vevey and disembark at the chateau. The walk from there to Montreux takes about half an hour. Boat back to Vevey. from Montreux.

Posted by
262 posts

I have made a few suggestions on your earlier posts, but there are many things to see and do here and so much depends on your interests. Since you are staying in Vevey, go to the tourist office in the building with the large pillars at the top of the marche. The people who work there are excellent and speak many languages fluently including English. They will happily offer some recommendations and guidance, provide materials in English to you. You mentioned you will have a car. If you are staying at one of the nicer hotels, they will have limited parking. If not, in order to park for any length of time without having to monitor or feed a meter, you'll need a garage. There is underground parking at the rear of Manor as well as under Migros. The most reasonable is probably the garage at rue panorama. If you have a gps, enter panorama parking Vevey. Most people use public transport here because it's usually right at your doorstep and easier than driving. If you are staying at one of the local hotels, you'll get a free pass to use the local public transport.