Please sign in to post.

Lake Como to ????? Switzerland

My husband and I are overnighting in Como, Italy and then would like to travel to Switzerland for three days. Zurich sounds interesting but I think I'd rather stay and a smaller town with lots of personality. Ideas?

Posted by
5581 posts

What time of year? I'd suggest Berner Oberland (Lauterbrunnen or Murren) or if its a shoulder season, Luzern.

Posted by
5581 posts

My personal preference at that time of year would be the Berner Oberland area. I would characterize the "cities" there to be "villages". They are absolutely charming and the views are incredibly beautiful. The village you choose would depend on what you'd be looking for. Grindelwald is bigger and has a bit more in the way of shops, restaurants and night activities. Lauterbrunnen is much smaller and set in a valley. Murren is half way up the mountains (or more) with stunning views. If you want a bigger town, you could look at pretty Luzern. It is on a river with pretty bridges and surrounded by a large lake and mountains.

Posted by
34 posts

I’ll agree with the previous replies that the Berner Oberland is a fantastic choice, especially that time of year. But it depends on your interests. If it’s hiking/outdoors then Murren/Wengen/Gimmelwald/Etc. are all lovely.

Liechtenstein doesn’t get much press but my wife and I loved it. Lots of hiking. Beautiful all over. And Vaduz is lovely as well. Easy to drive up there from Lake Como. And it’s an easy place to jump off into different areas of Switzerland, ie. Appenzell.