Please sign in to post.

Just starting to plan

Hi everyone. I’m just starting to put together a plan to visit Switzerland from the US, so I’d love some help narrowing down an itinerary. I haven’t even ordered travel books yet since I’m pretty sure I’ll need to cut a few things out. I’m thinking of maybe two weeks late September/early October. I’d like to see Bavarian Germany, Vienna and Switzerland. I’ll be traveling alone and I’d rather not rent a car. I’m not looking for a lengthy stay in one place this trip, but I think I would like to stay at least a few nights in each place and do day trips from wherever I’m staying. I like exploring cities and towns on foot and have no problem walking 10+ miles a day. For reference about my interests, I love Florence, Italy which is a smaller city with such beautiful architecture, but seeing Rome once was enough (not that it wasn’t beautiful, but it wasn’t as intimate). I saw in a post somewhere that you can hang glide (I think that’s what it’s called) over the Neuschwanstein castle, and I’d love to do that. I’d also like to do a day trip to Rothenburg, but otherwise I’d like to spend the bulk of my time in Switzerland. Should I skip Vienna? What should I see in Switzerland? I know I’m probably all over the place right now, but the people on the RS Italy forum were so helpful with my last trip overseas that I thought I’d take a chance and see if I can get some helpful advice here for my next trip. Thank you in advance!

Posted by
484 posts

Oh goodness, I did leave out a few important details. I’m thinking no more than two weeks and I’ll fly out of the Washington DC area, probably Dulles.

Posted by
7880 posts

Cut out Vienna.
Based on what you say you should commit to flying into Geneva or Zurich and out of either Munich or Frankfurt. Or the other way around.
Once you have airline tickets and dates and exact amount of time you have, share that with the forum; it is easier to help you fill in the blanks that way.

Posted by
1439 posts

In initial planning stages for a possible trip, I visit my local bookstores and library to thumb through books with lots of photos to get an idea of what each country offers that’s of interest to me. Then, figuring you’ll want to be in each location a minimum of 3 nights, over 13 nights ( figuring you want to be back in the city your flight home departs from the night before the flight) you can pick 4 locations. Maybe 5 if you stay somewhere just one night.
You also need to figure out a budget. Switzerland is very expensive. The first time I went there I packed a tent and sleeping bag and camped half the time. I know of no other country where there was a bus at the train station that would stop near the campgrounds. And the campgrounds have cafes and hot showers!
With the right budget, you could stay in Switzerland the entire 14 days. Or you could fly into Munich, go to Fussen for Neuschwanstein and go to Salzburg and possibly Berchtesgaden National Park 60 minutes away in Germany. Then maybe train to the Berner Oberland for 5 nights.

I do think I would save Vienna for another time because it’s at the opposite side of Austria from Switzerland and Fussen.
Be aware that, weatherwise, September is preferable to October when the annual wind and rain usually returns to Switzerland and Austria.

You have a blank canvas now and can begin to sketch the type of trip you want!

Posted by
4772 posts

I'd advise reading the wealth of info here on the Forum posted under each of those countries. Questions you haven't even asked yet are already answered.
Good luck planning your adventures.

Posted by
16352 posts

You will want to plan your time in Bavaria to avoid the crowded Oktoberfest period, which this year takes place September 17 through October 3. Perhaps start in Switzerland in late September, and then fly home from Munich or Frankfurt around October 10. Check flight prices for different days before setting firm dates.

Options for tandem paragliding over Newschwanstein Castle:

https://www.checkyeti.com/en/d/1065/7416

https://fly-royal.de/en/