Please sign in to post.

Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn?

We will be staying in Murren for two nights in the first week of September. Don't think we have the time to do both Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn (weather permitting.) Which would people recommend? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
5503 posts

Your time is very limited. The Schilthorn is more convenient to Murren and is less expensive. If you have an interest in James Bond, Schilthorn would be fun for you. Weather might play a role in your plans. One mountain can be fogged in while the other is clear. I am not sure there is a point to doing them when you can't see anything unless you expect it to clear. There are tv cams at the top of each mountain so you can view the weather.

Also, bear in mind that mountain weather is often more clear in the morning.

Posted by
8375 posts

I vote for Schilthorn. From Mürren you're almost there. You can get to the top easily in a short time, whereas it will take a few hours to get up to the Jungfraujoch from Mürren. Which is a big advantage, as you can go up first thing in the morning, or when you see the weather is clear. I think its much easier to walk around and see things at the top of S-horn, and have a comfortable rest in the restaurant.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks all for your responses - really appreciate it and fingers crossed that the weather will be good!

Posted by
6 posts

Schilthorn, Like the Murren side, it gives you the best views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. And from the Schilthorn, so much more. It is so easily accessible from Murren,

Posted by
17 posts

I'd add my vote for Schilthorn. We were just there in July, having spent 4 nights in Murren. Be sure to check the webcams in the morning as soon as you get up. To beat the crowds,. get there before 10 am. TVs in many hotels have a webcam channel which alternates between the Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, and Mannlichen (added bonus, accompanied by accordion music!). You can also view their own webcams on their respective internet sites. Good luck with the weather!

Posted by
32171 posts

Of the two, I would also recommend the Schilthorn, especially as you're staying in Mürren. It's an easy trip with great views and you won't have to spend as much time getting there. I also agree that checking the webcams and weather reports is a good idea, but even if it's cloudy at the top, you could still have a fine hot meal in the revolving restaurant or watch the James Bond exhibit. If it's clear, you may even be able to watch some Paragliders launching from there.

The trip there is in two legs..... Mürren to Birg, transfer cars and then Birg to Piz Gloria (the Schilthorn). If you have one of the Swiss passes, you can save some money on the cable car tickets. There should be some information on that in the RS Switzerland guidebook.

Posted by
4324 posts

Rick advises (warns?) that the Jungfrau can get pretty crowded, I did the Schilthorn and don't worry you're not missing anything in terms of views, they are still great. You'll be on cable cars instead of in train tunnels, and there's a revolving restaurant, and a lifesize cutout of James Bond (just beware it's George Lazenby) for photo ops.

Posted by
336 posts

With just 2 days in Murren, yes Schilthorn for sure. Check the webcam and if it's clear up top, go for it. It could be cloudy below, but once you get above the clouds, WOW, it is spectacular!!

Posted by
205 posts

Great question and responses. I have a friend who is asking the same, but starting Wengen as his base. Does that change things?

Posted by
11 posts

IMO, no, a Wengen base doesn't change the votes for Schilthorn! We have based in Wengen 27 times. Been to Jungfraujoch twice (second time upon insistence from traveling partners, we just bit our tongues and graciously complied). J'joch is extremely crowded, very touristy, lots and lots of very large tour groups from all over the world. Once one reaches Kleine Scheidegg the rest of the journey is largely in a tunnel. The 360 degree views from Schilthorn are better, it's less expensive and less time-consuming to get there. And the entire journey from Wengen to Schilthorn is very scenic.