Please sign in to post.

Jungfrau travel pass ? Summer 2022

There are three of us and we will all have
The Swiss Travel Pass Flex because we will need to take trains in other parts of Switzerland as well.

We are staying in Wengen for a week,
I realize we can buy the Jungfrau travel pass for a discount as Swiss Travel Pass holders

From what I can gather the Jungfrau pass actually covers the cable car journey from Wengen to Männlichen , which I know we want to do at least once if not twice.
It seems to cover more cable cars and other travel in the region than just the Swiss Travel Pass alone.

Overall ...I know passes are worth it, especially so that we may venture more places without worrying about paying extra to get there, and for ease since we will travel around most days.
I'm just fully confused, even after reading about them.
Probably because I've never been to Switzerland before,
and even though I've watched all of Rick's Switzerland shows and looked up pass info on here,
It seems that things have changed recently enough, in the past six months, to double check which passes we should buy to make the most of our journey and stay.

I will be coming from Basel to Luzern by train
And my family from Zurich to Luzern by train,
Before staying a week in Wengen.
Day trips around the region.
And then they will go back to Zurich and I will go to Italy.
So I know the Swiss Travel Pass is necessary.
I just am a little confused about the Jungfrau pass and the transportation in the Lauterbrunnen / Murren/ Gimmelwald/ Wengen/ Männlichen area
that the Swiss Pass does NOT cover fully. ( Cable cars etc)

If anyone is up to date in 2022 for summer travel.
About what pass you think is worth supplementing with in the region near Wengen, where we are staying, I sincerely appreciate your advice.

Berner Oberland and Top of Europe passes could be better to supplement our Swiss Travel Pass instead of Jungfrau pass ?

I'm dizzy with all the maps and information, lists of places I'm trying to place, AND old vs new info, since things have changed this year.
Thanks for your advice.

Posted by
7827 posts

You don't need a Jungfrau pass or supplemental pass. Just get the Swiss Travel Pass (how many days are you staying?) which gives you I think 50% off roundtrip ticket from Wengen all the way to the top of the Jungfrau. I took that last summer. Also Wengen to Manniclichen is 50% off. I took that lift last summer not unless the price has changed in 2022., The STP covers you 100% on all the trips you listed all the way to Wengen and all the way to Murren and Gimmelwald. Someone will chime in to correct me if I am wrong. I love that area I stayed in Wengen 4 nights last summer at the Hotel Bellevue. I recommend it has a view of the Eiger if you pick one. I've been to that area 3 times and have stayed in both mountain villages Murren and Wengen and as rookie with not much money in the valley of Lauterbrunnen. I now will make an effort to stay in Wengen or Murren.

P.S. It looks daunting at first but it all falls in place once you get going. The conductors and ticket sellers know what they are doing very professional are use to confused travelers in multiple popular languages like English, German Spanish Italian French and the languages spoken in the cantons like Romansh.

Be sure to download the train ap; it is pretty useful

Posted by
20 posts

Ok thank you for your advice.

We are staying in a VRBO apartment with two bedrooms and a kitchen in Wengen.
Because my teen son is staying with us.
I wanted to book a place in Murren that I liked even more, but it booked fully for the summer before I could convince my husband 😄.
If you find a place you like, reserve it right away, especially in this region. That's one thing I've learned this far.

Thanks for your time.

I don't want to overspend on passes we don't need, so it's very welcome advice.

Posted by
16229 posts

The Swiss Pass only gives 25% off the journey to the Jungfrau above Wengen. JYou can see the map of validity here:

https://cdn-doc.myswissalps.com/docs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelpass.pdf?sfvrsn=7788603a_56

Note the little circled “1” which indicates the 25%.

Other lifts in the area are 50% off with a Swiss Pass (including Flex Pass). But note Carrie’s caution: If you have a Flex Pass, each time you use the pass for a discount on a lift, like up to Mannlichen, or for the Jungfraubahn, it will count as a travel day and you must activate the pass for that day. So you could run out of days on your pass pretty quickly. So you would probably be better off with a regular Swiss Pass for the duration of your time in Switzerland, or most of it.

Posted by
20 posts

In that case do you think I should get the regular Swiss Travel Pass AND the Jungfrau pass since it covers 100 percent of the cable car above Wengen and some other places the STP only covers 25 or 50 percent ?
I suppose if we got the the flex pass, we could use the Jungfrau pass on the days we don't use the STP. .
Hmmm still a lot to figure out
I'm also going to take the Gotthard Panoramic Express to Lugano and then a train to Como Italy after my family heads back home. So * I * probably need a regular Swiss Travel Pass for more days than my family. The Gotthard Panoramic Express is only a $40 upgrade as long as I have the Swiss Travel Pass, without it it's around $200 for the boat ride and panoramic train.
I feel the STP is DEFINITELY worth it, trying to decide about Flex and regular.
My husband is convinced we will not be traveling by transport some days, because they like to rest and just hike around some days, or rent ebikes in Wengen. So ...I don't want to argue with him 😄
This is for July travel, so I guess I have time to sort it.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by
16229 posts

If you buy the reduced price Jungfrau Pass, you will still have to use up days on your Flex Pass to use the Jungfrau Pass.

So your choices are either regular (consecutive day) Swiss Pass plus reduced price Jungfrau Pass (saving 65 CHF on a 6-day pass) OR Flex Pass for the number of longer travel days you have, plus regular price Jungfrau pass).

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-travel-pass/

How many days are you in Switzerland altogether? And what is your first stop in Switzerland? If you are just going from Zurich airport to Luzern for the first night, that journey is expensive enough to warrant using up a Swiss Pass travel day. The departure day on the Gotthard Panorama Express, on the other hand (good choice) is well worth a travel day on the pass.

Posted by
20 posts

Oh we will be in Switzerland 9 days total.
Also I see the new Eiger Express ( 88 CHF per ticket) is included in the Jungfrau pass too. It's only 25 percent off with STP.
Maybe having the Swiss Travel Pass flex for 8 days,
Using a four day Jungfrau pass to take the included gondolas and cable cars on those days ?
And then our 9th day, somewhere in the middle just hang out in Wengen so we don't use our passes or use a pass. The rent ebikes day.
Too bad they don't have a 9 day pass. Or we could just pay out of pocket one day, I guess.

Posted by
16229 posts

I suggest you not use your pass for the first day’s travel. For the rest of the family, Zurich Airport to Luzern is only 30 CHF, and for you, Basel to Luzern is only 34 CHF. Not worth covering with a day on the Flex Pass.