Please sign in to post.

July 2025 Itinerary suggestions—Lucern, Wengen, Colmar…

We are planning a 2 1/2 week trip (length is flexible) next July and have a few questions.
So far we are thinking:
Lucern 3 nights
Wengen 7 nights
Colmar 5 nights
Bern 3 nights
What we are wondering is should we try to fit in Appenzall and the Montreau areas?
Also, should we be taking anything into consideration as to it maybe being pretty hot at this time of year?
Any other suggestions of places, or other ideas?
We love walking and being in nature, architecture, museums and gardens.
Thanks!

Posted by
281 posts

The time in Lucerne and Wengen will give you lots of time to enjoy the mountain regions: I'm not familiar with Colmar so can't comment on that. There are plenty of hikes and scenic cable car/ railroad trips such as Schilthorn and Kleine Scheidegg. That area will be busy in July, so check the weather early in the morning and head to a high scenic destination if the weather is good, starting with your highest priority trips.

Save some of the lower elevation (such as Lauterbrunnen Valley) for cloudy or rainy days.

If you're staying 3 nights in Bern, you could do a day trip to Murten walled city and architecture & Avenches (Roman amphitheater).

All the best,

Raymond

Posted by
601 posts

Bern is an easy day trip from Wengen or Luzern on a rainy day, so I'd probably consider choosing a different place. Montreux has the beautiful Chateau de Chillon, lake promenade with dripping flowers everywhere, boat rides, the 1000 year old vineyard terraces built by monks that you can still walk through, etc.

July is high season so be prepared for massive crowds of people and it will be very hot in places like Montreux, so bring portable fans with you. It's not really a problem up in the mountains, but down at lower elevations you'll feel the heat, especially as many places don't have AC.

Posted by
861 posts

I think your plan for the first 15 nights is great, and similar to how we allocated our nights on a June trip. I would not cut any of those nights. I haven’t been to Bern or Montreux, so I can’t comment on that.

Edited to add that wanderweg makes a good point that you could visit Bern as a day trip from Wengen if you have poor weather or just feel like a city day. That would let you substitute Montreux.