Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Question

Hi I need some advice for the final 2 nights of our trip - We fly out of Geneva and I don't know where we should stay. Here is the itinerary: 2 nights Bern, 4 nights Lauterbrunnen, 2 night Zermatt and (2 night somewhere relatively close to Geneva)

Posted by
6277 posts

Lausanne or Montreaux would be good choices close to Geneva. My other comment is that your itinerary is missing Luzern/Lucerne. Its a lovely city in a beautiful setting. It'd be nice to fit it in. That said, I wouldn't take any time from Lauterbrunnen. So, perhaps, add days or maybe compare Zermatt vs. Luzern or drop a night in Bern or. . .

Posted by
176 posts

I second Lausanne or Montreux! Both are right on Lake Geneva. Lausanne is the International Olympics headquarters and has a fantastic museum. Very timely with the Olympics coming up!

Posted by
30 posts

Hi Tami.

Montreux is a cute lake resort but it's super busy and fully booked during the 2 weeks of the International Jazz Fest (this year starts July 5th). Vevey is a quaint little medieval town by the lake, from where you can easily travel by train to Lausanne, Geneva - Geneva Airport and Montreux. Lausanne is also a great option, much closer to the airport and also well connected by train with the towns mentioned above.

They all 3 can be a great choice, now it depends on what kind of accommodation do you prefer, budget and what do you plan to do in the 2 days you have in the area. There's a long list of things to do and see everywhere between Lausanne and Montreux.

I live in Vevey, so please feel free to ask more questions anytime.

Ana

Posted by
5349 posts

Tami, IMHO, if it's cloudy and you can't see the Matterhorn, there's less to do. Also, in the Berner Oberland, you can actually sleep in the Alps, and even on overcast days, if the peaks are in the clouds, the BO is beautiful and lots of good hiking is still an option. Again, IMHO, I'd rather spend the time in Lucerne than Zermatt ( or Bern). However, there are varying opinions. Enjoy!

Posted by
2967 posts

Just curious why people seem to advise to not go to Zermatt?

I just spent 3 nights in Zermatt earlier this month and loved my time there. For me, there is so much more to Zermatt than “seeing the Matterhorn.” It is such a gorgeous setting surrounded by the mountains with the smell of the pine trees.

There is plenty of hiking in Zermatt:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/hiking

Plus, they have the cute little black nose sheep. What’s not to love? :-)

You should give it a try and make up your own mind about it.

Posted by
5349 posts

Carrie, I figured you disagreed (wink emoji). I'm so glad your time in Zermatt was before the rains. Waiting for your Trip Report! Glad you're back safely.

Posted by
161 posts

Note the recent rail closure into and out of Zermatt (June 21-23) due to flooding.

Although rail is since resumed, many higher level hiking trails, AND the Gornergrat are not yet reopened as of today.

Posted by
11600 posts

I agree with Carrie but always advise to spend more nights in Zermatt to improve your chances of actually seeing "The Mountain." Lots of great outings whether it is "out: or not but there's no question, a stay in Zermatt is complete when you can see the Matterhorn.

Personally, I'd skip Bern and put at least one more night in Zermatt then 3 nights Lausanne or Vevey.